Friday, May 11, 2007

A trial run at Kindergarten...

Today was Kindergarten Roundup. This was a trial run for JP at his new school with his new teachers and 80 of his newest best friends. It was 2 1/2 hours where the kids could meet the teachers and the teachers could get a look at the kids. I've been procrastinating thinking about it. I just kept focusing on Wednesday's IEP and pretending that today wouldn't come. In the back of my mind I was thinking that it wasn't really that critical for him to attend. But then I knew that I should want him to...

At the IEP, his current teachers asked if JP was going to his Kindergarten Roundup. Mrs. D (current speech path) asked if I thought a social story would help him with his morning at his new Kindergarten. Of course it would but I explained that I have been in denial that the day would come and hadn't really prepared anything. She offered to do so. She sat there and talked to the Kindergarten teacher about the schedule and jotted down notes.

JP went to school the next morning and came home with a beautiful story about the fun time he was going to have at Kindergarten Roundup! Now I need to explain this time line so that you truly understand how phenomenal this was. Our IEP finished up at 5pm on Wednesday. On Thursday at noon, JP came home with a printed and bound two page story taking him step by step through his day. This was the NEXT MORNING ! She is so awesome!

Oh, and it gets even better. Thursday morning at 8:02 am I received an email from Mrs. M, his new speech path at his new school. She had attached a picture of herself so that JP could get to know her. (She was going to be his shadow at Kindergarten Roundup the next day.) Two hours later she also emailed pictures of his teacher, resource teacher and the resource paraprofessional.

So today was the big day. JP was the little trooper and went along with what we told him he had to do. We marched up to the front doors of the school and went in without a fuss. We looked around the room at about 8 teachers and he picked out Mrs. M based on her picture. The adults talked for a few minutes and then he accepted her hand and went to the classroom with her. No fuss. Just another day in the life of JP.

I sat on a bench for the next 10 minutes or so watching these other little boys and girls walking up with their parents. The excitement was evident on their faces. Some were scared but they had that scared look like you have right before you plummet on a roller coaster. They were nervous but excited at the same time. It is like they knew that this was the first day of the rest of their lives.

JP reportedly did well during the session. He directed much of his interaction to the adults but here was a really cute story they were eager to share with me. I think it endeared him to them. And it is one that I need to preserve in my memory bank...

JP is playing when another little boy approaches. The little boy proceeds to tell JP that he is his new best friend. JP looks at the little boy and knows that something needs said. The wheels are turning but he just can't seem to decide what to say...so he yells "Boo!". Twice.

The teachers coordinated a second attempt with this little boy and the second time went much better. Reportedly the boys built quite a road together and JP even negotiated during the design phase. The adults were impressed (once they stopped giggling about the Boo)!

Yeah, without a doubt, we need some social guidance! But I am hopeful! Day 1/2 and the teachers are now aware of what they have ahead of them. And I think they felt a little charmed by my prince.

2 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

Oops! Thanks MCEWEN!! I have no idea what I did but for some reason my comments were shut off on this post. No wonder I hadn't heard from anyone...I have to admit I missed you guys!

Hoping to get back online soon. Tomorrow is the last day of our garage sale. I think I am averaging about $2 an hour pay for this thing. I don't see any more garage sales in my future!

mjsuperfan said...

I love the part where he says, "Boo".

Good luck with the garage sale.