Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Feeling a bit hypocrital

I am feeling a bit hypocritical these days. It is a really long story and truthfully I am not comfortable providing much detail because a couple of my visitors will know who I am talking about. I posted about this friend a few months ago when my frustration level reached maximum. I ended up pulling the post afterward because I wasn't comfortable sharing what I did when some readers knew the people involved.

The quick and easy background to this story is that this is a fellow special needs mom who is having a very difficult time. We've known each other for about 2 years since our oldest children were in the same early intervention classes. Both of her children have IEPs. Both are still pretty much non-verbal and in diapers. They are 5 and 4. Mom graduated high school but was in special education. She means well but has trouble seeing the big picture and following through on things. She asks me lots of questions about what we do for JP and seems interested in trying them but she just can't pull it together. I've loaned her books. I've photocopied pages. I have helped her make sticker charts and visual schedules. I've answered the same questions over and over again. Finally out of desperation (and frustration) I decided that I didn't have the energy to keep beating my head against the wall. I've referred her to local resources to try and get other hands involved. But now some of those local resources are sending her back to me.

Recently she has been fighting the school on an accomodation they are employing for her oldest. I think she has been "fighting" this all year. In my opinion, it is a necessary accomodation for the child. But Mom refuses to accept the talking device because she feels that it has decreased her childs verbalizations. Mom learned to talk without the device and is sure her daughter will also. She thinks the device will cause her daughter to not learn to speak for herself.

A few months ago I started an Autism Support group for families in our school district. We have about 10 families. We are including her even though her child does not have an actual autism diagnosis. Her children are very similar and the family is very much in need of a support network. She brought up the issue to the group and we tried to give them the moral support they needed. Ultimately we encouraged them to find an advocate that can listen to the facts and make an unbiased decision based on what is best for her child. Also, we strongly encouraged that she schedule the meetings with the school at times when the husband and her mom(grandma) could come with her.

They had that next meeting and the school explained why the child needed the communication device. Dad and Grandma agreed with the school. They whole heartedly agreed that it was in the child's best interest AND that they needed to get one for the home. Mom called me upset because they had turned on her. I then had to try to gently explain that if her daughter was actually forming sentences on this device than it was a GREAT thing! And she most certainly should have it in her home. For some odd reason my saying it seemed to bear more weight than her husband or mother.

For awhile I was losing sleep over the issues of this other family. I was stressing over how to convince Mom that she needed assistance and frustrated because there is no one to provide that assistance. For a while I just rolled up my sleeves and started trying to help her learn how to help the kids. I gave her a handout on discrete trials and physically showed her how to do them. We listed some goals to work on. I gave her a sticker chart on self dressing skills as well as a stack of stickers.

Unfortunately after about 9 months of this I had to pull back. I felt guilty but I had to do it for my sanity. I have my own children who need my energies. I feel guilty about this but what else can I say. My children have to be my priority. I've been trying to fade back. I've been trying to get her in contact with advocacy organizations.

(So much for my short synopsis of the story.)

Anyway, here is the issue. She has talked to a few of the organizations. One in particular is a Parent Adovcacy organization. They talk with you but are not able to represent you in your meetings with the school. She asked. You want to know what they told her? "Why don't you ask your friend, MWAM, to attend your IEP/Placement meeting with you." What the hell! I guess that plan backfired!

So we met at the park a couple weeks ago for a playdate. She proceeded to pull out her child's verification paperwork and IEP. She handed them to me and explained that the advocacy people said that I should attend her Kindergarten placement meeting with her. "Here you go", she said. "The meeting is next Tuesday."

This is where I feel hypocritical. She sees that I have gotten my son included in a general ed Kindergarten. The school and she are not agreeing on the proper placement for her oldest. They recommend a special ed room. Mom wants mainstream. Mom wants what JP is getting and does not see that JP's placement is different because JP's needs and skills are different. In fact, this is a hard pill for me to swallow but she feels that since JP has autism and her daughter does not then her daughter should be better off. It's not right for JP to get a "better" placement. And no those are not my words. Those were hers.

I stammered and tried to avoid the discussion about attending her meeting. But she brought it up 3 times and wouldn't let me off the hook. I told her I'd have to talk to my husband to see if he could take time off to watch T. I told her I didn't think it would be likely since he was so busy at work. I felt like an ass. She needs someone she can trust. She seems to trust me. But I CANNOT take on responsibility for her children.

Also the biggest problem I have is that I agree with the school on this placement decision. I worry that if I sided with them at the meeting that she would feel it a public betrayal. I also selfishly worry about harming my relationship with the school. I don't want them to think I am the one pushing her to put her child in an inclusion setting. I know inclusion is not the right fit for everyone. (On some level I do believe in inclusion for all, however her child has severe anxiety issues and can't even handle interacting one on one much of the time. I cannot imagine what will happen in a room of 25 Kindergarteners! In my opinion, a regular education classroom is not the right place for this child right now.)

My fear is that she will use my name and the schools will think I am the one encouraging her resistance. Part of me considered going to the meeting just so I could make it clear to the administrators that I am not advocating inclusion for her child. As I mentioned before the Special Ed Coordinator is my biggest obstacle and I don't want to alienate her. I selfishly worry that they will blackball me as a trouble maker. I imagine them saying, "See what happens when you give one person inclusion...everyone expects it." Then they will become more resistant to our requests.

I did eventually tell her that I could not attend her meeting. I gave her another phone number for a state advocacy organization in a nearby city. And I did tell her that I wasn't so sure that inclusion was the right decision for her child. I know that she didn't like what I said. Mostly I explained that although JP is being mainstreamed I am having to partner with the school to get things done. I have worked hard building this relationship with the school. I explained that she has hurt her cause by her refusal to employ the communication device at home. (She now has the device but isn't using it). I encouraged her to develop a plan with the school with the stated goal of having her child included in 1st grade. If she works with them toward that goal then it just might happen.

So here lies my moral and ethical dilemma. How can I say I am about advocating for all children when I feel like I am turning my back on this family. Yes, I am giving them advice. Lots of it. But where am I when they need someone to step up. In my heart, I know I have done everything I can. I have tried to "step up" so many times that I have bruises from falling down.

A few months ago I decided that for my sanity, I had to draw the line. I started being less available. Then she upped the ante with the request to help at the placement meeting. At times this makes me feel so hypocritical. How can I justify doing all these advocacy attempts to help the families that just need that little boost to help themselves and then turn my back on the family that truly needs someone to hold their hand? In my head I know it goes deeper than holding their hand and I am not qualified or able to walk them through the special needs journey. It is my heart that I am having trouble convincing.


*******
I sat down this morning to post this because I am trying to build up my energy to call her back. She called last night when I was out. The meeting was yesterday. I am anxious to find out how it went but still dreading making this call.

12 comments:

gretchen said...

Wow MWAM! I'll be anxious to read what happens. You have done so much to help this family already, but I understand that we are programmed to feel guilty for not always doing MORE MORE MORE. It doesn't help that this woman doesn't seem to read the signs that someone doesn't agree or isn't able to give 100%. I'm impressed with all that you've done. Good luck!

kristen spina said...

The one thing that kept running through my mind as I read this: You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

You've gone above and beyond here. Hypocritical? I don't see it.

Club 166 said...

Life is not fair.

And you have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

Do not feel guilty. You are no good to her or yourself if you are totally drained of any energy.

Try to let her know that you still want to be there for her to talk to and bounce things off of, but that you don't have the time or energy to act as an advocate for her.

Her family may step up if they see she doesn't have you to do it for her. Or they may not. You need to protect your own first.

Mom without a manual said...

I am feeling very frustrated.

I did talk to my friend today. She felt that things went fine. She did follow my advice and wrote "a letter to the participants" with her thoughts and concerns. (She has a lot of difficulty talking when she gets nervous) I encouraged her to write these things down because truthfully it is very hard to follow what she is saying when she gets nervous. She is intelligent but she has a lot of trouble formulating her thoughts and getting them out. (Sound familiar?)

She felt it went fine and it does sound like they tried to lay it all out for her. They have presented her with 3 options and they are meeting Friday to discuss her choice.

Here is the thing. She means well but somethings she just doesn't get and she has trouble following along. Fortunately, her husband seems to have things a little more together. And her mother was a paraprofessional for many years.

But get this...neither her husband nor her mother attended this meeting. It appears that they had other things to do! WHAT THE HELL! They sent her to one of the most important meetings of this child's life -- alone!

I feel really bad. This child needs someone to advocate for her and the adults in her life are seriously inadequate. That sounds harsh. The mom is trying and believe me she is doing the best she can with what God gave her. She just doesn't get it. I don't think she is capable of getting it.

I am very sad tonight. I feel like I am letting the little girl down but I can't make a difference if her parents aren't able to step up.

This world isn't looking very fair to me right now.

Maddy said...

Good grief! What a mess [in the nicest sense of the word - can there be a nice sense?] Just that it's just the sort of tangle I can imagine myself in [knots that is to say]
Keep us posted.
Cheers

mjsuperfan said...

You aren't letting the little girl down if you honestly feel that inclusion would be too much for her. It sounds like you are trying to look out for her best interests.

You are smart to set limits (I think), and just being there occasionally to listen to this mom is probably incredibly helpful. If you limit your involvement, maybe the mom will be forced to find official advocate sources.

Good luck!

Laura said...

MWAM - Try not to feel guilty, even though I know that's much easier said than done! If anything, make sure to reinforce that her husband and mom didn't go, so if she wants to get mad at anyone for letting her down it will be those two! ;) It really sounds like you've given her LOTS of help and dialing back a bit for your own sanity is necessary sometimes! I really think her daughter is going to get the right IEP, and the brilliant thing is, they can always update it if there are problems, right?

Mom without a manual said...

Thanks all for our kind words. I am just so frustrated by this. But it helps to hear that I need to let it go.

Mom to JBG, that is the problem. I do feel that inclusion is too much for her and the school appears to agree but Mom wants inclusion.

She can't acknowledge that her daughter is not "just like she was as a child". Mom talked late and spent a lot of her childhood segregated into special ed. Mom always wanted to be in the regular classroom and is determined that her daughters will be there--even if they aren't capable.

So I do feel like I am dropping the ball because I can't convince Mom an inclusive setting with 25 kids will be too much for her daughter! But I am not alone...the school can't convince her either. I was hoping her husband and mother would be able to make the difference.

Laura,
Thanks! For the most part the IEP is drafted they are just squabbling about the Kindergarten placement. I know that can always be changed too but I fear putting the girl in too stressful of an environment to begin with will create problems. They really don't need more issues to have to work though!

Again, thanks for all your supportive words. I just really find this frustrating and incredibly sad. For the most part us parents have to figure out what our kids need on our own. It has been really hard for me realizing that some of our "special angels" don't have parents who know how or when to fight.

The cynical side of me translates as -- the children of "privilege" (money/educated parents) get a chance to improve while the other children...

Niksmom said...

MWAM, I'd like to offer a slightly different perspective here. It's actually a lot like what happened with Nik this past year. I'll try to be brief:
It was his first school experience (preschool) at a special needs school. We thought Nik would do best in as typical a classroom setting as possible so we pushed to keep him in the "integrated" class. He *has* made some tremendous progress but he has also lost some skills (including eating) which were just beginning to gel last summer. Now, we are looking at a more structured, smaller program for him to help him with his sensory issues and to help him get the assistance he needs to be able to regulate himself so he can attend and learn. In all, could he have made more/better progress in a different classroom placement? Sure. Was he hurt by his current placement? No. In fact, he's taught the teachers a lot! (AND he's grown tons, too!). AND, Niksdad and I have realized that we didn't know we didn't know. (Which we now are learning!)

Moral: Be careful what you wish for --- you just might get it. With respect to your friend and her daughter...she's young enough that she won't be damaged for life AND the Mom needs to see for herself what the cost might be in getting wehat she *thinks* she wants.

You ARE absolutely advocating for the child's best interests but you must also let the family have some of their struggles. If the mom is as smart as you say she is, she'll figure it out.
You have to let them make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons. Remind the mom that she can request changes to the IEP at any time.

WarriorMom said...

True hypocrits don't put as much thought into their decisions as you have. And, for some decisions, there are no right answers.

(Just my attempt at a supportive comment.)

KAL said...

Wow, MWAM. I've been gone from the blogosphere for awhile... sorry this is all swirling about you. I think you've done plenty for this woman and her daughter, but I agree with Kristen, you can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves too. I'm pretty much in awe you've done this much to begin with. Hang in there and I'll look for more updates.

Steve said...

I sure wish there were some definite answers for you, but I have a feeling there aren't any. Here are a few things that jumped out at me...
- Are you able to talk to "dad and grandma" about their involvement, especially in the IEP? Is that feasible?
- Is there anybody else in the new support group who could/would assist?
- Your concern about the school's view of you is a real one and you should not overlook it.