Friday, March 30, 2007

March Time Capsule

A Moment in Time...

JP

What is your favorite...

COLOR: "Red" Why red? "Because Lightning McQueen" Oh, does McQueen have other colors? "oh, yes! (long pause) (long pause) but I like yellow for Winnie the Pooh". Mommy likes blue. "oh, blue is for the King." Yep, the King is blue in Cars, isn't he. But so is Blue on Blues Clues. "oh yes." (fake yawn, fake yawn...silence...fake yawn--time to move on...)

BOOK : "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" Really, why that one? "Because Pooh looks for his honey pots in the honey tree." Does he find them. "Yessss!" What does he do with them? (Fake sneeze) He climbs the honey tree and he hums a little hum." Can you show me? "It says hum hum de dum dum." (I attempt to repeat the hum hum de dum dum). "No, its like...Hum de de dum dum I'm ...(proceeds to sing the song...I can't get it all written down...something about climbing a tree like a bee...I'm a pooh bear...oh bother.

(Full round of applause and on to the next questions.)

MOVIE: "My movie is Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree". Why that one? "Because Pooh gets more honey pots in the honey tree." Does he eat the honey? "Yes, but where is my honey? I'm pooh bear...where is my honey pots? Maybe I'll go get my honey pots. I'll be right back. (and he is gone...returns with the red #8 cup from T's stacking cups. He proceeds to slurp imaginary honey from the cup. "Yummy!"

(In walks Daddy)...."Daddy, I'm pooh bear. I have honey. Oh bother. Empty again." (runs off)

(After a full scale Pooh Bear production we return to our regularly scheduled questions.)

FOOD:"Honey." (Now I have tried building off of this interest. The boy will not eat honey. I have tried and tried so I know that it is not his favorite food.) Pooh, I need to talk to JP now. I'll talk to Pooh later. So JP, other than honey, what is your favorite food? "JP likes strawberries" said Pooh and he ran away in search of honey.

(two hours later we have grudgingly colored, played trains/cars in the bedroom, read a couple of books(not Pooh books), eaten a real snack (not honey), T is finally down for a nap and we return to our questions)

DRINK: "Strawberry limeade." (This is a big surprise. We know he likes it but he has never mentioned it aside from when he has one in his hand. Dad likes to make quick stops at Sonic for Strawberry limeades.) So where do you get that? (long pause) Where do you get strawberry limeade? "At the strawberry limeade house." Oh yeah, I think it is called Sonic. "Sonic!" Do you go there with daddy. "Yes! Sonic! (pause) Whose Sonic?" That is where you get your strawberry limeade. "Oooohhh! Sonic!"

TOY: "a car toy" Which car toy is your favorite? "Lightning McQueen toy." Do you have a second favorite toy? "Yeah I have a Mater toy." Do you have a third favorite toy? "Oh yes, hmmm" What is it? "oh, maybe um, maybe..." What is your third favorite toy? "a boat toy" A boat toy? (we don't have a boat toy except an old bath boat but he doesn't ever use it) Where do you have a boat toy? (long pause) "I got it at Smallville." (**town name has been changed to protect the guilty**) Where in Smallville? "At Grandma P's living room." Oh. (pause)"Oh, whose oh?"

(The conversation died there as I was too shocked to carry on. There is a pirate ship that Grandma brings out when we visit. Truthfully we have played with that ship maybe twice in the past year.)

LETTER: "A" Can pick you second favorite letter? "B. The b says baa as in the word bubble. Does the b say baa in the word bubble?" Yes, I think you are right. Okay, I need another favorite letter but not c. You can't pick c. What would be your next favorite letter but not a c? "D. What does C mean? I want c,d,e,f, g but no h's." (sound bite complements of the Leapfrog Letter Factory video)

NUMBER: "I like the number 1. 1. 1." Why 1? "Because it was on the number movie." What number movie? "Counting movie. The counting movie by Baby Einstein Company." That's right. (gulp--maybe we watch too many videos) I think I like the number 5 because that is how old JP is. (fake sneeze and he playfully bopped the baseball cap off of mom's head to end the discussion of numbers)

(I don't know. We do have lots of videos but we do so much else too. Sadly, I don't feel like I can ban videos...where would his scripts come from? So much of his language is scripts. Typically, he uses the scripts appropriately. It is just that after two viewings he has the entire thing memorized, cataloged and filed away for later use.)

SONG: "it looks like hum de dum dum hum de dum...rumbling in my tummy... hum de dum dum...oh I wouldn't climb these trees if a pooh flew like a bee...but i wouldn't be a bear then...there is some honey and I'm a pooh bear so I need to climb there...time for something...(crash lands and run around the room)...oh bother." (very brief pause) "Shall I sing hum de dum dum hum again?" Oh yes! (and this time I got to watch it since I didn't have to type it all out! Perhaps we have a thespian in our midst. Do they have any Pooh productions on Broadway? Off Broadway?)

Interesting side note: JP was eating his toast when T woke up this morning. I said to him, "I'll be right back. I'm going to go get T". He got up and ran by me yelling, "I got him". I followed a few steps behind. He knocked on T's door, opened it, and said, "Hi, Piglet. I brought Christopher Robin with me." Then when I walked in he said, "Hi, Christopher Robin. "

So during breakfast I asked since Mommy is Christopher Robin who is JP? As if it wasn't obvious--JP is Pooh Bear! So is Mrs. T (his preschool teacher) Owl since she is so smart? "Daddy is owl" said JP. I guess I should be thankful I am not Eeoyre as my gloom and doom attitude makes that a natural choice!


OUR FAMILY
_______


My additions:

JP is still a bit temperamental but he has had a good month. His meltdowns had been so much better this past year; however, the last few months have caught us up and we have likely passed our quota. One moment we see really big gains in socialization and play skills and the next moment he is completely out of control. So far he isn't really getting physical...just very angry and very noisy. Typically he recovers okay. We just lose 15-20 minutes of our day each time.

Biggest stims - Still a lot of Buzz Lightyear scripting. Some McQueen talk and during the last week of March we reacquainted ourselves with Pooh bear (duh, you say!)
Bed time books:



Baby T

FOOD: cinnamon toast, pasta, hot dogs, chicken fingers, cheese. He still loves the Hamburger Helper Cheesy Beef Taco single servings, mac-n-cheese, ramen noodles, green beans, oranges, pineapple chunks, pickles, popcorn, rice crispy bars

DRINK: Milk from a bottle. Juice from a sippy cup. Anything with a straw! If you have a drink with a straw...IT IS MINE! T recently discovered Fruit Punch Gatorade.

MOVIES: Anything Baby Einstein. Anything Wiggles.

TOYS:


Our CARS characters love racing through this parking garage.

Dora's talking backpack taught T how to say backpack.


This is Puppydog. We sleep together.

I am a scribble pro. Mommy made me use this after I scribbled all over brother's Vineland-II Assessment form for the school. I don't know why she got upset--my scribbles looked just as good as hers!

My favorite "toys" are those things up high. You know...things like pencils, ziploc bags from the kitchen, the cheese grader from yet another drawer in the kitchen. If you turn your back for even a second I will scoot the chair over to the table, get on the chair, get on the table or even the counters. That is where all the cool toys are!

I love to play cars and trains with my big brother. Unfortunately I am just a little short to reach the middle of the train table so I always have to climb on top of it to get my train across the bridge. JP doesn't like it when I do this and always rats me out to Mom. I am just pretending to be Godzilla!


BOOKS:




WORDS/ACTIONS:
(against my better judgement I will include these...I'll try not to over analyze)

Daddy, BaBa (bottle), ball, I did it!, Bye Bye(with a finger wiggle), Baby, straw, Bath, puppy/dog, All done, Mama, head, backpack, car, go (We say "ready, set" and he says "go"), Three (We say "one, two" and he says "three"), Burp game (pretends to burb and cover his mouth), peek a boo, noisy/sloppy kisses, blows noisy kisses, touches head during "monkey jumping on the bed", wags finger no during the "no jumping on the bed" part.

Grabs your nose, eyes, mouth, ears if you name the items. Only points to his own nose however will grab all of these parts on JP. Will walk up to JP and pull on his ears.

Will pounce on JP if we say "Dog Pile".
Will head to the stairs if you say it is time for a bath.
Will head to the refrigerator if you ask if he wants milk.
Will wave bye bye if you start to get out the coats.
Will give you his feet if you have his socks and shoes to put on. (unless he is in the mood to run away)
Will bring food from the pantry to Mom. Usually goldfish, rice crispy bars, or fruit snacks.
Will run from you (with the naughty item) when you tell him no.

Reportedly heard but unverified: duck, cup, juice, fish, JP
T has started being bashful around other people.

2 comments:

AshleyLeo said...

I can't tell you how valuable your journal is. The word "priceless" doesn't even hold a candle. You'll have this forever, and so will your children. You'll be able to look back and recall these details when your memory is too full of them! Love it! Thanks for sharing them, they are so cute!

mjsuperfan said...

Even though we do all sorts of activities all day long, my older son (NT) still spends tons of time quoting from and acting out the stories of the videos he loves.

I also find that videos get my twins (ASD) to imitate actions and words that they otherwise aren't motivated to imitate. Especially if the movie has music.

So, much as it's strange to admit it, DVD's play a big role in our house (although we do limit them to two times a day). With my twins, whatever gets them excited and talking is wonderful in my book!