Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ready or not...

I feel like the world I have struggled to get a grasp on these past few years is about to change. I imagine all parents of soon to be kindergarteners feel this way. But it sure seems scary to me right now. I know that we will get through it and everything will be okay...we've managed this far, right? We will do whatever it takes for JP to get the education he deserves and is entitled.

There was a message on our phone when I got home earlier today. It was from our neighborhood school. They showed JP on their census figures and were wanting to verify if he would be attending the neighborhood school next fall. Obviously on their calling list JP is just one of the neighborhood children. They haven't crossreferenced with the special education world and realized that he is already in the "system".

I actually have a "visit" scheduled with the school next Monday. The early childhood coordinator is taking me for a visit with a regular Kindergarten classroom and a "multi-cat" (special ed room) at a different school. I requested these tours in preparation for our upcoming meetings to discuss his placement for next year.

Is it silly that I don't have the courage to return the call? I guess I fear telling them..."Yes, I do want my son to attend your school. And oh, by the way, he has autism". I guess I fear them saying they aren't set up to accomodate him. I know that they do have a resource room but from what I understand most of the special ed kids get bused off to a different school. This neighborhood school won't have a lot of experience dealing with our issues. Still, I really do want him there. I want him to go to school with the kids that live in our neighborhood. I know that legally they can't deny him. Still, I am not sure I am ready to start this discussion. I fear making this decision based on what I want and not what he needs. I know that it is my job as his advocate to make sure we do what is right. I just prey that we know what that is!

I just don't know which environment will be best. Academically he is already reading and well ahead of the game. Socially--not so much! Also with his sensory issues I imagine a classroom of 30 kids might be too stimulating! Frankly, I want him in a regular ed room with a para by his side. (Atleast for awhile) I firmly believe that with assistance he will understand how school works and flourish. The supports can be faded back as soon as he grasps the concept of learning at school.

I read blogs of other families where inclusion is just a given assumption. Unfortunately this is not so in our school district. In fact, it has a reputation for segregating our kids and 1 on 1 assistance is virtually unheard of. Many of our peers have ended up in the multi-cat (spec ed) rooms. Of course, their children aren't as verbal or as socially aware as JP. He has become pretty verbal but he is still so incredibly far from understanding all the mysterious social rules our society has created. His language is fairly functional yet he can't sit down and carry on a conversation. He can tell you everything he wants you to know about Thomas, Cars, Pooh, or the Wiggles but if you try to ask him questions he will probably walk away.

Oh well. I'll deal with this. We'll get through it. I'll make the call tomorrow. This is such a small step but it feels like the beginning to me. I have been trying to get psyched up for this process and trying to get myself ready in case there is a fight. (sigh) Ready or not, here we go!

1 comment:

mjsuperfan said...

I taught in a resource room for a few years, just before becoming a stay-at-home mom. I had a few kids with autism for whom the resource room was almost their home-room. They were pretty high-functioning, but sometimes overwhelmed by the size of their general ed. classrooms. And they didn't really belong in the self-contained room either.

Maybe your neighborhood school would let your son spend parts of his day in the resource room. I know I loved having those kids in my class.
Good luck!