Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A moment in time...

T is becoming his own little man. This is so much fun watching him grow and show us his personality! I decided to make myself take a few moments every month and summarize what both boys are doing. It will be fun to look back and see how our tastes change as our little men grow up.

I posed the following questions to JP:

What is your favorite...
COLOR: "Red and Blue like Thomas and Lightning McQueen"

BOOK : "Thunder and Lightning" (Disney Cars paperback we picked up yesterday at Kmart)

MOVIE: "Cars" (I want to add that we are currently obsessing over the Bear in the Big Blue House Potty video. We watched it atleast 10,000 times a year ago during our potty training phase. We hadn't watched it in months. He requested it last week and wants to watch it over and over again. He is now scripting it over and over again!)

FOOD: "Cake" ...but he won't actually eat cake so I asked for another favorite food...
"Ice Cream" ...up until recently Ice Cream was too cold. So I asked again...
"Grilled cheese" This I believe.

DRINK: "Fruit Punch" Interesting. He always asks for Lemonade.

TOY: "Lightning McQueen" No surprise there.

LETTER: "A"

NUMBER: "2"

SONG: "Wiggles song about cars" I asked if it was the "Big Red Car song". He said no, the Kachow song (Kachow is McQueen's favorite saying). I haven't quite figured out what song we are talking about.
_______
My additions:
We recently started chewing our fingernails again.
Very stimmy: Wiggly Play time video, Bear Potty video, Cars, Cars, and more Cars story lines!
Bed time books:












A snapshot in time for Baby T:

FOOD: Fruit cups, bananas, cinnamon toast, pasta, hot dogs, chicken fingers, cheese. Absolutely not baby food! Not really interested in spoon. Will dip it in the bowl...more to make a mess than out of a desire to eat.

DRINK: Milk (only if it is in a bottle) or anything in brother's cup. He only wants juice if it is his brothers. We found out that he will drink it as long as he thinks it is JPs. So now I have JP take the drink to T. He is a smart little guy...he'll figure out we are tricking him soon!

MOVIES: Anything Baby Einstein.

TOYS: Anything JP has in his hand. Cars, Trains. Shape sorter. Pushing our toy shopping cart.

BOOKS:










WORDS/ACTIONS:
(against my better judgement I will include these...I'll try not to over analyze)

Daddy, Bye Bye (with the wave) , BaBa (bottle), All done, ball, noisy/sloppy kisses, blow noisy kisses, I did it! (we think)

Reportedly heard but unverified: car, duck, puppy, says mama but rarely to me, sigh!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your query about fidget items on Mom NOS.
I have rubber cushions in my class- for all the students not just those with autism or other special needs. They have ridges on one side and are smooth on the other. They can be taken off the chair for circle time, taken to music class or library time, or simply stay on the chair.
As a teacher, I can tell you, a little wiggling is a far better solution than the need to bounce in and out of a desk. And by having them readily available for everyone, there is no need to worry about "being discreet".
Most home health care stores carry them.

WarriorMom said...

I think it's a great idea to take a verbal snapshot of your children. Do you mind if I borrow that idea?

I just recently started reading the "for what it's worth" blog and found your comment there. Finding your blog is like hitting the jackpot for me. I started reading some of your older posts. I'm amazed at how hard you work for your sons. I'm struggling to balance my son's needs and my work. Are you a stay-at-home mom? I wish I could afford to do that.

WarriorMom said...

Oh, and one more thing. We happen to be using similar blog templates! I hope you won't think I'm a copy-cat. When I've figured out how, I'll customize mine a little more.

Mom without a manual said...

Thanks for your comments! I welcome visitors. I've been blogging and reading other blogs hoping to get some interactions going! Welcome! Please keep visiting!

'For what it's worth' thanks for the suggestion! JP is definitely a wiggler! I love the idea of everyone in the class having one too!

'Warriormom' welcome and I will definitely be visiting your site as well. Yes, life is crazy. I think we are all doing amazing things for our kids.

Admittedly I am intrigued by the "psychology" side of the therapies. (I am a closet shrink wannabe.) As for the biomedical side I am learning as we go. Both seem to be having amazing results so we just keep plugging along! Ultimately, we are committed to doing whatever we can to give JP life he deserves.

Actually, I am a stay at home mom. I worked until he was born and then I stayed home while I went to grad school. I completed my degree about the same time we got his diagnosis. But it just isn't possible to work right now...maybe later.

I know what you mean. We can't really afford life on one income but you just make concessions. You may have encountered one of my earlier blogs where I dwell on our financial strain.

It is just plain crazy. We can't afford to work but yet we can not afford not to work. For awhile I did data entry from home but after T was born that got to be impossible. It was crazy hours for minimum wage anyway.

We have to spend most of our income on Occupational Therapy, Biomedicals, and our college student helpers. Fortunately we live in a city with several univerisites and I have found some free/reduced rate services through them. But I must stress--you get what you pay for!

Anyway, thanks for visiting and please keep coming by!

WarriorMom said...

Okay, I will. :)

mjsuperfan said...

Ahhh, the Bear in the Big Blue House Potty video. We have watched that many a time, and even though my older (NT) son can sing "Time to Get to know your Potty Chair" very convincingly, he really does not want to get to know his potty chair.
I seriously think my twins (on the spectrum) might be toilet trained before he is! And they are a year younger.

I can relate to your financial woes...I stay at home, and also pay some college students to come in and help. On the one hand, I feel like "what is money, really, when you have two autistic kids?" On the other hand, there is the reality of needing to eat, have shelter, etc. etc.
Alice
(formerly blogging as momontheverge)