Monday, January 22, 2007

A day in the life of JP

Today was JP's first full Monday on the new schedule. He had preschool from 9 to 11:30. We then met up with Dad for lunch (Dad took the day off to be with T while I toured schools). Then Dad and T went home while JP and I went to Occupational Therapy. Then we went to speech. Then we returned home for a couple hours before JP had swimming lessons. He finally got home in time to put on his PJs. Needless to say he was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow!

Today was a success for JP and he seemed to handle the activity okay. He actually functions better with things to do. It is when we hang out at home that he gets bored and really stimmy. But I am concerned that the scheduling is going to be too much for T.

We have never "double booked" our afternoons before. Usually he only has to tag along for one session per afternoon. This will probably just mean that instead of getting to hang around and watch JP's sessions, T and I will need to walk around campus or do something else to stay active. Unfortunately, the little man is not the type to just take a nap when he gets tired. If there is something going on he will stay awake to watch it. Perhaps he is a bit of a busy body?

As a side note, I must comment that the college student (undergrad in SLP program) JP was assigned this semester has worked with him previously at another preschool group he is involved in. I am not sure JP remembers her but she did awesome today with him. For the first semester we have been involved in this program I don't feel like we are starting over with the therapist!

For the most part we keep participating in this program at the University because it is social experience for JP with another adult. It's not so much about him making gains in language. (Granted that is a good byproduct.) Typically I have asked them to focus on the same goals that I work on at home. This has been a good way to help him generalize the concepts and I am able to make sure he is "performing" for other people. Plus they have mirrored glass so I can watch the session without being a disruption to him!

Many of these students have not worked with children before and none (until this semester) have had an understanding of autism. In fact, last semester was brutal. The "therapist" (I use that word loosely) does not belong in this program. But the one before her was a natural. We take our chances. I guess I tell myself that you get what you pay for. This is one hour a week of therapy and it is costing us $150 a semester (12 sessions) I can't find private speech therapy that is going to compete with that!

On one hand I regret that we have such a "patch work quilt" of therapies for JP. Of course I would love to have trained ABA therapists working with him 40 hours a week. But we do what we can. I believe it is good for him to learn to work with new people and we definitely keep his life busy! Yes, trained therapists would be great. Maybe after I win the lottery. Or maybe the government or insurance companies will start helping us with these necessary therapies. Yeah, I need to be a realist...I keep my eye on the lottery.

No comments: