Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The sign says...

Today was our weekly pilgrimage to Walmart. As we were hustling to the doors (it was downright cold outside), JP noticed that they have ENTER and EXIT above their doors.

Here is our conversation...

JP: "What does sign say?"
Mom: "What sign?"
JP: "The sign says Enter".
Mom: "Yes, you are right! That sign says enter. Do we go in or come out of the Enter?"
JP: "Go in. Go out Exit."
Mom: "Yes! You are so right! JP, you are such a smart cookie!"
JP: (makes a really sad face)
JP: "I am a smart BOY."

So I have decided that I am going to start making a focus on teaching our crazy language. I am going to try to give him a new Idiom or crazy saying every day. The English language is really crazy when you think about it! How frustrating it must be to not understand what people mean when they use all these goofy phrases! Listen to yourself for a day and realize how often your words can not be literally translated! I guess we might as well start now and pace ourselves in trying to help him make sense of it all!

P.S. I am adding a section at the bottom of my blog to chronicle our lessons.

4 comments:

WarriorMom said...

Good idea to work on idioms and to list them on the blog. I "tip my hat" to you. Figuratively speaking, of course. :)

Em said...

That's so true - english is full of the most crazy sayings. One that my daughter struggles with is "I'm pulling your leg" as in "i'm joking". She always looks at her legs and wonders what on earth I'm talking about!

mjsuperfan said...

It's a sign of how well you're doing that you are starting to work on idioms!

My nephew had a really cute picture book which played on little sayings like those. I'll try to find out the title. The illustrations showed each expression as if it were literally true, which my nephew (NT) found really funny.

Mom said...

Charlie has had a hard time with "How are you?" How questions seen to just throw him. "How come?" is torture to him.