Tuesday, February 20, 2007

40 hours of intervention - is it possible?

JP had a class at the Y today. For the last month I have hovered nearby to help in case I was needed (he's in a class full of NT kids with no specific supports in place!!!!). Today I decided to cut the shoestring and put T in the daycare room and got in an extra workout myself. Unfortunately my mind ran faster than I did.

So I decided to come home put one of those thoughts down in writing. I am curious to see how it works out. I want to calculate how much "scheduled" intervention we are fitting into JP's life. I know that this number will be lower than it has been in the past because we used to hire college students for anywhere between 6 to 10 hours a week. I haven't calculated it in awhile. I am interested to see how we are doing.

Hours per week
12.5 -- Preschool provided by school district
1.0 --- Private Occupational Therapy
1.0 --- University Speech Clinic - 1:1 with Speech major at local university
.5 ---- Adaptive Swim Lessons - 1:1 with PE major at local university
1.5 --- YMCA class - NO SUPPORTS IN PLACE & LOTS OF SOCIAL ACTIVITY
2.0 --- 1:1 with college student hired for home (current student is an OT major)
1.5 --- Speech/Social skills Preschool at local med center/university
2.5 -- Recreational Therapy camp at local med center
1.5 --- Random playdate (atleast one per week)
------------
24 HOURS PER WEEK
============

Well, that would be at a minimum. We often have a couple playdates. It seems like a lot but still not the "40 hours of intensive..." that we hear we are supposed to do. We do a lot of "family" therapy but I don't know any possible way to quantify that time. My philosophy is to try to focus on our goals 24x7.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Another perspective might be...

24 hours in a day
11 hours sleeping (on an average)
---
13 hours awake a day
7 days a week
---
91 hours awake during the week
24 hours of scheduled interventions
---
67 hours of awake time left. To be filled with life and "family" therapy -----------------------------------------------------------

In doing the first analysis I worried that we probably do not manage 16 hours of "family" therapy a week. (16 would meet the magical 40 hour per week number).

But the second analysis made me embarrassed to think that we couldn't carve out a mere 16 hours when we have 67 hours to work with!

Where do those 67 hours go?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
This I'll estimate in minutes per week...

300.00 ---20 minutes to school/40 minute van ride home(Mon-Fri)
240.00 ---30 minutes driving to every intervention (>8)
240.00 ---30 minutes driving home from every intervention(>8)
Assuming he's allowed 1 movie per day and not always CARS!
116.00 ---minutes to the movie CARS (Monday)
81.00 ---minutes to the movie TOY STORY (Tuesday)
92.00 ---minutes to the movie TOY STORY2 (Wednesday)
116.00 ---minutes to the movie CARS (Thursday)
81.00 ---minutes to the movie TOY STORY (Friday)
92.00 ---minutes to the movie TOY STORY2 (Saturday)
116.00 ---minutes to the movie CARS (Sunday)
630.00 ---30 minutes per meal 3 times a day for 7 days
7.00 ---therapeutic listening program we are just starting
---
35 hours

67 awake hours available.
35 spent doing the above activities.
---
32 hours left
16 of them for "family" therapy.
---
16 hours a week left to take an occasional bath, get dressed, and be a kid.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

I hear you dearie. Mathematically challenged as I am, I distinctly remember doing similar calculations myself and deciding that my life was completely up the wahzoo [sp.]
Wishing a little dose of sanity, or failing that, an un-interupted shower.
Best wishes

WarriorMom said...

Don't let the numbers get you down. From what I've read in your blog, I am impressed with the amount and quality of therapy that you have arranged for JP and that you provide on your own. I don't think anyone could criticize your efforts.

And remember to allow yourself some liesure time. JP will benefit from it indirectly.