Thursday, February 01, 2007

I'm so not...

Monday we had some relatives come through town for a short visit. We joined them for supper and really had a nice meal. Both boys did really well. However, JP really seemed to have a connection with the waiter. Usually he is oblivious to the wait staff. Recently he started ordering his own food but never any extracurricular interactions with the wait staff. He tends to compartmentalize people and things. Everything has it's one specific purpose--and the wait staff brings us our food. But for some reason this young man was able to become more than that. He even got away with tickling JP a few times when he passed by the table!

Well, as we were wrapping up the meal our waiter brought the bill to JP. And JP just took it as though he knew what to do with it. One Aunt asked JP if he brought his wallet to pay for dinner. He stood up and pointed to each one of us individually and passionately said, "I'm so not taking you to dinner!". There were 7 of us so we heard this wisecrack repeated 7 times. It was cute and clever and we all giggled. Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out where that line came from. I figured it had to be the movie Cars since that is our latest obsession. Also, I have never heard this saying from him before so it was likely something recent.

Sure enough, the line is from when McQueen goes to court after ruining the main road in Radiator Springs. Sally enters the courtroom and McQueen falls madly in love. He flirts with her and asks if she'd like to get lunch afterwards. Well, Sally is actually the town prosecutor and she ends up getting McQueen sentenced to staying in Radiator Springs until he fixes the road he destroyed. McQueen is not happy and he passionately tells her, "I am so not taking you to lunch!"

Well, I am thrilled that JP used it appropriately and he was the hit of the meal. The relatives were all amazed at his progress and of course they think he is so clever.

Well, here is what I received from his teacher the next day...

Today we heard, "I'm so not taking you to dinner" several times at opening. One peer got all upset and told me JP won't let him come over for dinner! Then JP switched it up a bit with whatever we were talking about. EX: "I'm so not having a Valentine's Party." and "I'm so not having small group today." I am not sure where this is coming from. Movie? Or do you so not talk like that?!!?!?!!??

3 comments:

WarriorMom said...

I'm guessing there was a blogger font-substition glitch, because I can't read what you received from the teacher.

Mom without a manual said...

Thanks! It looked okay on my screen so I would have never known!

Hopefully it is fixed now!

WarriorMom said...

Yes, much better! And more amusing too. :)

By the way, your blog gives me hope that my son will learn how to communicate better with time.