Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Relaxation Audio's - worth it?

Last week JP started some listening therapies. During our visits with his OT we have tried the program out a few times. He actually liked it the first time. Tantrumed about having to do it the second time. Tantrumed the third time but totally relaxed while listening and then proceeded to sing some of the songs the entire way home. This was rare because he rarely "sings" in public. He knows the songs but doesn't "perform".

Well, I decided that even if it just serves as relaxation for him it might be worth it. Yep, still a pricey mechanism for relaxation. $180 for the "special" headphones and each disc is costing us $40 as well. So we have our first disc and are trying to get him going listening at home. I guess we could have just kept doing it during our 1 hour of OT a week but I felt that that hour could be better spent using the therapist! This we can do at home!

The true difficulty is finding time. He is supposed to listen 30 minutes two times a day. He can't listen while playing video games or watching TV. I have found the best time is during his meals. So I have him wearing his $180 headphones while he gets pudding smeared all over his face. How crazy is that!

But you know what. He is so relaxed afterwards. Of course I want to give it more time before I decide for sure but I really think he is more spontaneously verbal right after. It is almost as though he is calmer and more open to sharing with us. He even doesn't put up a fight about having to do it!

I think he gets so stressed and overwhelmed during the day that he turns inside himself. For example, his verbal stimming is at its worst when he is overwhelmed. So of course this could be the case. I guess we should explore some other relaxation techniques for him as well!

However, my biggest inspiration for this therapy is to help him deal with those sudden or loud noises that freak him out! I'll definitely keep you informed if we make any progress on this front!

1 comment:

WarriorMom said...

Maybe I'll have JF try the listening therapy. Are the headphones required? I mean, can you get the same benefit playing music from a CD player?