Friday, June 29, 2007

A disclaimer for the local folk

DWAM would like me to include a disclaimer. He is uncomfortable with my play on the title of God. I can't really bring myself to change all of my postings. Besides I can't refer to our Special Education Coordinator by name and it is too much work to type out Special Education Coordinator every time I want to talk about the Special Education Coordinator. See what I mean! Besides it took me about 3 minutes to type that sentence. For some reason I do typo after typo when making the words "Special Education Coordinator". So I have to create a pseudonym for the Special Education Coordinator. I do not intend this as a blatant insult to the Special Education Coordinator. I would assume that if the Special Education Coordinator read my blog it might make her upset. However, she would have to realize that this is my personal outlet for therapy. I am blogging to my fellow autism parents looking for advice and support. This isn't really about the Special Education Coordinator. This is about a parent trying to navigate the special education hierarchy. Yes, the Special Education Coordinator is a critical player in this hierarchy but I understand that she has a job to do. I've worked Corporate America. This is business. She has limited funds and a growing list of children that need supports. I really don't want to risk making this feel like a personal attack on her. Personally, I feel that the worst thing we could do is mix personal feelings with business (and then religion on top of that)!

In fact, I really got along well with the Early Intervention Special Education Coordinator. Actually, I am very thankful to her for getting JP in the special placement he had this past year. She also really came through for us in getting as much support as we did at our initial IEP meeting about next year. I don't really know the Elementary Special Education Coordinator yet. Hopefully, we will get to be on friendly terms throughout the years. My only personal knowledge of her is from our IEP and now from the lack of response to my letter. I would love to come back to report to my blogger friends that she is really a warm and fuzzy person. She may very well be. But this discussion is not personal...it is business.

And she really is the person who ultimately makes this decision. This decision greatly impacts my son's life. She is a powerful being--hence the God comparison. I don't mean to imply that she thinks of herself as a God. Now, if anyone local should read this, please know that this title is used to illustrate her authority rather than her behavior. And for the love of God (the real God) please don't share my blog with her.

I have shared our blog with a few of our former teachers and local families. I like knowing that some of JP's local fans are able to keep up with him. There are some really special people who have entered our lives. I like that they can visit our site and catch up on JP's developments. However, I do regret that at times this makes me feel censored. I prey that my play on words (which I would agree could come across as a bit disrespectful) will not get in the way of my son getting the services he deserves! I guess I am making a leap of faith here but I trust in these school friends. Lord help me!**

3 comments:

WarriorMom said...

I think your psuedonym for her is appropriate.

I grew up in a family that went to church every Sunday and our life philosophies are firmly rooted in our belief in God. However, we also are somewhat flippant about it. When I or one of my siblings questioned our dad's decision on something, sometimes he would say, "Because I am God!"

We knew he was joking and we knew what he meant. But we teased him about getting hit by lightning someday for saying that.

MzAriez said...

My son is a special ed. student. The whole IEP process has been a nightmare. Lucky for him, I am a strong educated person with tons of resources from going through a social work graduate program. Thank goodness the school social worker and psychologist supported my concerns and recommendations. It has been very overwhelming at times even with support from Pacer.

I wish you much success in getting your child's needs met. I know there are great schools out there.

Remember, the school looks at it from an educational viewpoint. The social worker from another. The doctor has the medical view. Keep that in mind when working with your IEP team.

Best wishes!

GClef1970 said...

If I have learned anything recently, I have learned that you just can't stop people from becoming offended when you write an Op-Ed, such as our blogs. Our blog is our little safe haven, where we vent our frustrations and seek the advice and experience of others who have already walked the same path. I see DWAM's point and I think that your disclaimer is well written. I hope you don't spend any more thought on it. Way to go on being an awesome advocate for your child, the most important thing out of all of this. :-)