Thursday, June 07, 2007

23 days

Along with the rest of the world, I have been watching the Paris Hilton saga unfold. Not on purpose. You can't get away from this stupid story. It is everywhere. Someone somewhere decided that this spoiled brat, who has done absolutely nothing to earn her place in society, is newsworthy. Much of the world is watching and laughing at her "misfortune".

This whole storyline is sad. It truly shows how corrupt our society has become. We live in a society ruled by social class. Those of us in the autism world know this all too well. Money talks. Even in the autism world. For example, we don't know what treatments will work--until we try them. It is trial and error. That is hard to do with limited finances. Ultimately, money gets treatment. A family with money can explore everything until they find the magic bullet for their child. Money equals a better chance at a brighter future. Yes, there is still a lot of work and luck involved but there is a chance for these elite children.

Children born to ordinary citizens are given very little chance to overcome. Very few of us have an extra $60,000 per year to spend on behavioral therapy. Very few of us have the continual stream of dough to navigate the DAN protocol. We do the best we can. We dabble in therapies and hope to find our magic bullet. We can't afford to devote time to a therapy unless it shows immediate gains. Most gains are not immediate. Many of us can't risk depleting our limited funds to ride it out. No overnight gains--time to move on. Simply because of their lot in life, our children may very well miss out. They may not get to develop to their full potential.

Money talks. Some of our kids can't.
Who do you think will be heard?


Enough of my soapbox. Anyway, back to the Hilton fiasco.

Tonight at supper my husband commented that it was sort of sad that Paris is pulling out all the stops to get out of jail and (based on my day from hell) I would probably willingly take her place. 23 days to myself might just be what I need! (Of course I would prefer 23 days in Hawaii.)

I thought I'd give some thought to how I would spend my 23 days in isolation. Imagine 23 days of solitude. Close your eyes and envision 3 weeks and 2 days without responsibilities. What would you do with those 23 days?

1. Sleep.

2. Listen to the silence.

3. Revel in the fact that I don't have to be somewhere. I'd have no schedule to keep!

4. Read a book from start to finish with no interruptions. Then read another.

5. Sleep.

6. Get to know the person I have become. (Currently I am not sure who she is)

7. Reflect on the lives of my children and journal the best and worst moments while they are still fresh in my mind.

8. Revel on the fact that I don't have to think and organize and constantly be engaging another human being.

9. Revel on the fact that I am alone! I am not responsible for another human being!

10. Sleep.

11. I can eat what is in front of me. I don't have to be a short order cook and prepare different foods for different picky eaters.

12. I wouldn't have to hear the same phrase 100 times an hour.

13. OMG! I can use the bathroom alone!

14. Reflect on my life: where I have been and where I want to be.

15. Sleep.

16. Investigate if I really do have any spirituality left in me.

17. Exercise. I wouldn't have an excuse not to!

18. Write letters to family and friends that I've lost touch with.

19. Breathe.

20. Sleep.

21. Listen to music. Real music not the Wiggles.

22. Take time to evaluate my life and really focus on what is important. Look for the big picture rather than the small stuff I always get hung up on.

23. Miss my family! But without a doubt they would be getting a better Mommy back when I returned!

Isn't it sad to fantasize about life in a jail cell?

9 comments:

mjsuperfan said...

Using the bathroom alone! Or taking a shower without maintaining a conversation with a small person using a Magnadoodle just outside of the shower.

I have to admit when I fantasize about doing these things, I picture a nice hotel room. I have a bad impression of what prison bathrooms might be like.

But I definitely get your point!

kristen spina said...

For me, it's simply 24 hours in a hotel room, a do not disturb sign, room service and clean towels on demand. Sleep, that's what I want. In a kind size bed I don't have to make in the morning.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Well, when you put it that way...kinda makes sense to me. Sign me up! (lol)
Great post.

Kristin

Maddy said...

Jail cell? Book me a padded one!
Cheers

Laura said...

Yep, add me to the list of those who long to use the bathroom and shower alone! Some days I get one or two bathroom breaks in peace, but the boys have great hearing and could probably hear the shower running two miles away. But only if I'm in it. The water makes a distinctly different sound if Hubby is in there, apparently, and they have no interest in interrupting him.

Sleep -- I think jail would be similar to home in this respect -- woken up before you're ready, having your sleep interrupted several times a night by noises of the other "inmates". So, not the best place to catch up on sleep. But, then again, you have all your meals prepared! I could handle that! The food can't be much worse than my, "Let's try a new GFCF corn and egg free receipe!" attempts.

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes. I'm getting a taste of what you write here this weekend. All 3 of my boys are gone (Hubby included!) So nice to have a break.

And what am I doing with some of my time? Reading your blog, for one. I've seen you comment on other blogs in the past, but I haven't checked out your blog. I'm so glad I did!

I started reading from the beginning (yeah, I have some time to kill!) Wow! I can relate to a lot of what you write about. Having two boys 4 years apart, oldest on the specturm, worrying about the younger one. All I have to say about worrying about T is that I've been there, I've been there. Eventually you will know in your heart and your mind, and the worry will be put to rest. You'll know for sure. And it will be a relief when you get there, regardless of the outcome, because even if your worst fears come true, you will know what to do, because you have been down that road. That moment of knowing only came recently for me - about a couple of months ago - realizing that CR (now 3 1/2) is probably not on the spectrum, although he definitely has some shadow symptoms. It's so tough to wait it out though. It takes such a toll on you mentally. Hang in there! (Don't read into this, I don't think T is on the spectrum, but I don't personally know him, so hard to say for sure. I just know as a mom having been through this, it is tough not to analyze EVERYTHING, because we know so much about it.)

Other things I could identify with in your posts:

*JP putting his jeans on backwards. :-)
*JP being very sensitive to your raised voice (describes TJ to the core!)
*Reactions of others toward JP being harder on you than him.
*JP rubbing his hair after his haircut. (We had to go to buzz cuts because of this)
*Speech with students through a Univ. program
*Exploration with biomedicals - although I'm one of those people you describe in a recent post who need to give it up because of lack of funds and not seeing immediate results :-(
*The verbal stimming (again, TJ to the core!)

I could go on and on. I know that no two families are a like, and no two kids on the spectrum are the same, but the emotions you convey in your post - oh so similar. Been there, still there. It's nice to know we aren't alone in feeling these emotions and experiencing these experiences, isn't it?

Sorry it took me so long to check our your blog. So glad I found the time to do so!

Anonymous said...

I forgot I wanted to ask about the My Bookshelf software you mentioned JP likes that you can load pictures and it reads like a story book. Where can I get that?

Mom without a manual said...

Yeah, the more I reflect on it I'd rather be at the Hilton rather than in Ms. Hiltons' cell.

Regardless, I sure could use some quiet time!

And to March Day, welcome! I have seen you around the blogosphere too. I'll have to stop by and check out your site.
The link to the My Own Bookshelf software is

www.softtouch.com

We also used Test Me Score Me a lot as well.

kristi said...

Take a jacuzzi bath, uninterrupted.

Poop alone.

Sleep uninterrupted.

Eat a hot meal.

Clean my house and watch it sparkle for days without getting screwed up in 3 minutes flat.

Watch a movie without having to pause it 357 times.

Talk on the phone without having to break up fights or stop a tantrum.

That would be wonderful.