Wednesday, November 01, 2006

What a treat

He did it! We had a great Halloween. He dutifully marched up to the door and did it step by step as we practiced. Of course there was always some sort of deviation. The first house had a frisky dog trying to get out. But we survived it!

Our biggest obstacle was that we don't like chocolate. It seems that everyone gives out chocolate. So when JP was given the choice to pick out his own candy from the bowl it took forever and a day for him to find a suitable option. Then there were the times he would grab several pieces. For awhile I felt like I was adding rules after every house. Be sure and only take one piece! You only reach for the candy if they don't put it in your pumpkin for you! You should always say thank you even if they give you chocolate.

My favorite moment was after he had learned the new rule for only taking one piece of candy. This homeowner apparently wanted to rid himself of candy and said, "take another". So JP turns back around and puts the original piece back in the bowl to "take another". It was really quite sweet. If only he listened that well for me. Had I told him to give me the candy back he would have given me a few choice words and some tears!

Another sweet memory will be his verbal closing to every transaction. He would say "thank you" to the candy giver. Then as we walked down the driveway he would say, "Oh, thank you Mommy! And my candy thanks you too!". It has to be a Pooh reference but I haven't placed it yet.

Anyway, Halloween was a success and not as haunting as in the past!

No comments: