Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick or Treat

Halloween.

This really has not been an event the past couple of years. When he was 3 JP was a fireman. It was the least intrusive costume I could find. It was obvious he was a fireman even if he didn't wear the hat or carry the hatchet. He didn't care. He didn't like candy. He didn't particularly care to visit people. We went to about 6 houses. I had prepared him a social story. He knew to knock on the door and say "Trick or Treat". I forgot to tell him that he had to wait until the person came to the door. And forget thank you because as soon as the homeowner looked at him he took off running down the sidewalk. God forbid they talked to him! He even cried when one boisterous neighbor greeted us.

Last year Halloween went better. He was in the midst of a Toy Story fixation. So we had a Buzz Lightyear AND a Woody costume. He couldn't decide which one to wear so we wore one through the neighborhood and the other while visiting our family. His Dad took him door to door as I was 9 months pregnant with little T. They made it up and down our block. JP wasn't really into it but he did go and there were no tears. I would consider that progress!

This year we are in the midst of a Winnie the Pooh fixation. JP is Winney the Pooh. T is Tigger. JP has had his costume on since 10am this morning. They had a party at preschool and it has just stayed on since. (Even through several potty visits!) We wore it to speech and won't take it off now as we "are going trick or treating".

I am excited. I feel like the child getting excited to go out myself. I hope he does well. I want him to enjoy it.

We have practiced but he needs work. Especially on being polite when given candy other than a sucker. He doesn't like chocolate and is eager to let you know he wants a sucker from you. But I figure that the homeowner will just assume that I have a rude child and not an autistic child. I suppose that is progress. Atleast he is going through the motions. We can work on ettiquete later!

1 comment:

jim said...

Supplemental income is a great way to gain additional money so you won’t have to worry about making ends meet in tough economic times. Millions of people look for ways to improve their financial standing. If you are looking for a second income and are thinking about foreign exchange trading, the information in this article can help.
http://www.newslinesonline.com |

http://www.perfectwristwatch.com |

http://www.phillyaccidentlaws.com |

http://www.renoracepromotion.com |

http://www.simpleteesusa.com |