Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Beware of the Coke pirate

Okay, we were spoiled. JP spent nearly 4 1/2 years before he discovered soft drinks. Well, a few months ago, he discovered Coke and Pepsi. I don't know where you stand on the debate. Personally, I can't really tell them apart. My loyalty is that I drink whichever is available. (However, I don't do diet!) Anyway, the standing joke in our house is that you never get to finish your own soft drink. If JP sees you with one, he somehow manages to take it over.

For example, my mother is a diehard Coke fanatic. She quickly learned her lesson. She is what I call a "sipper". She will open a can and sip at it for hours. That just will not fly in our house! JP saw her Coke and of course politely requested some. She graciously poured some into a cup. He drank it. Then he also took her can and finished it. Of course, he still said thanks!

Well, now this story is going to get a little less adorable.

We went out for supper a few nights ago. When asked what I want to drink, it has just become habit to say "Coke/Pepsi". It is just Murphy's law that if you say "Coke" than they will go through the whole spiel about carrying Pepsi products. So I just try to cover my basis and slur the two brand names together. It usually works. I rarely know if I am drinking Coke or Pepsi but then I don't really care.

Well, the hubbie and I had both responded and to my surprise JP chimed in that he would like a Coke. He looked so proud to be saying it himself and to be honest I was quite proud. He doesn't usually respond to the waitstaff.

Okay, here is what she brought him. Can you see the problem?

The rest of the world understands that these two items are universally interchangeable. Try explaining that to my son. He FREAKED out! I know that he was proud of ordering for himself and I partly believe his meltdown was more severe because he felt that his communication attempt broke down. I could feel his frustration and disappointment.

He didn't seem so concerned about what he was drinking but rather what label was on the cup. He ordered a Coke and the cup should say "C-O-K-E" not "P-E-P-S-I"! He was more upset than I have seen him in a long time. There was no reasoning with him.

The family sitting next to us was amused for the first few minutes. The waitress felt bad. I just kept wondering how tolerant the world would be if this was my 14 year old son reacting this way rather than my 4 year old. Most would just assume it is a child thing--not an autism thing. But he won't always be a child.

We have worked so hard to avoid rigid patterns in our life. These situations blind side you and make you wonder if you can ever really equip him to deal with the ups and downs of our crazy world!

No comments: