Thursday, August 02, 2007

24 hours of isolation

You may recall my daydream of 23 days spent in isolation.

Well the warden has issued me a day reprieve. I've been informed that my presence at home is not warranted. I have a motel room a couple miles away where I am to rest my head tonight. I have a massage scheduled at 4pm after which I will be checking into my quiet, dark, aggressively air conditioned room.

What will I do? I have a book I'd like to finish. I have sleep to catch up on. I might just lay there and listen to the silence! When I crawl out of bed tomorrow morning at 10:50am (check out time is 11am) I will revel in the fact that I was not up at 9am driving JP to camp. I will relish the fact that I am not currently checking him out of camp to take him to his speech group.

While I am sitting at a restaurant peacefully eating my lunch I will think about DWAM chasing and attempting to entertain T for the full hour and a half during the speech therapy group. Dad will be anxious as the parent room will have 3 or 4 other parents. He will feel that he has to keep T quiet so they don't disturb these other parents who are watching their children participate at speech time. I wish him luck. I hope he has time to actually watch some of JP during this time.

Around 1pm I will be cruising the mall in search of a present for DWAM's birthday next week. While I am strolling the mall, DWAM and T will be trying to figure out how to pass time until JP's day at camp is done. They will have returned him to camp from speech but find that it would be ridiculous to drive 30 minutes home just to sit for about 45 minutes and then drive the 30 minutes back to pick him up. Oh the agony! Since DWAM only works a few miles away I am guessing that it will be show and tell time. I'm sure his co-workers will welcome the distraction.

Besides with all that driving T would fall asleep. And if T falls asleep in the van it will make it impossible for Dad to walk into camp to claim JP. So that cat nap would ruin the possibility of a real nap for T. Because in T's world a nap is when he closes his eyes. He doesn't register that it was 10 minutes or 3 hours. Guess what! If they closed and they are now open than he is done napping! I have tried to warn Dad but he doesn't seem concerned. So I guess we'll plan for T to have a cat nap tomorrow. Oh well.

After finding the perfect present for DWAM I will head home and wait for my guys to return. Perhaps I will take a nap while I wait. They probably won't be home until 3:30 or 4:00pm.

Should I be evil and ask DWAM what he is cooking for supper? It isn't like he had to work or anything...he was on vacation after all!

5 comments:

Niksmom said...

WOW! A whole 24 hours?! How did you swing that one? I chuckled at your words about DWAM, T's naps, etc. It makes me think of Niksdad and how clueless he is about some things (though he sure makes up for it in many other ways, don't get me wrong!). But, it's the only way DWAM (or any other person) will learn. Won't it be sweet to hear DWAM say "Honey, you were right. I should have listened." Ha ha ha.

KAL said...

I'm so jealous! Hope you had a great, fantastic time and that you finished your book! I say, yes- ask what's for dinner :) I think I'm going to ask for own reprieve...

mjsuperfan said...

Oh, I think he definitely should be able to whip up a nice dinner! After all, he was the "stay-at-home" parent, right? (I wonder how many autism parents really stay at home?)

Enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

Lummy! Everyone's going away! I'd write in green if I could! Lucky you, make the most of it.
Best wishes

jim said...

It is incredibly important that students have the ability to understand and make sense of many different real-life situations that are thrown at them whether this be applying for a job or taking on a new role.
titan-automation |

tour4peace |

usviptour |

volzbrosauto |

zefitech |