Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Repetition and repeating

We've been seeing a burst of grownup language around here. There could be several reasons. JP is definitely growing up on us. JP is learning that as big brother it is his place to tell little brother how it goes. JP is stimming on home videos and watching them over and over again. We are learning to be careful what we say.

We have had to re-enact many scenes from our home videos. One in particular has JP and T both sitting at the kitchen table with markers and paper. JP's page had an outline of a snowman. T's had two snowmen. JP had a blue marker in one hand and a grey in the other. He declared that he would not color that day but agreed to "scribble". I played along. We made a game where I said "scribble" and he would scribble then I would say "stop" and he would stop. After he filled up much of his page I told him to switch hands. He complied. I said scribble and stop a few more times. Then I asked him to hold up his picture for the camera.

It was fun the first time. I have now tired of the game. You see we have fought over having the exact same set up. He was in complete meltdown because I would not let him have the blue and grey markers. He wants the same paper. He wants the same markers. I have given in to his script in the hopes that I can tweak it a little more each time so he can learn that it is fun to change it up a little bit. He is reluctantly letting me switch from long markers to short markers and from grey and blue to yellow and red and from snowmen to Lightning McQueen.

There is no denying that videos are a powerful tool for JP. Yes, I know I just complained about it adding to his rigidity but it is also amazing when it comes to his fears. He loves watching a segment on the video that I taped during our field trip to the farm. This was the third trip he has taken there. They have a really cool slide that comes down from a loft into a pile of hay. All of the other kids love it. JP has always refused and retreated into himself. This year I went prepared. I took my new camera with the video capabilities!

Still he refused to do the slide. I kept talking to him while his peers did it. I urged him to let mommy make a movie of him doing the slide. I really don't know how it happened but in the end he did agree to do the slide. As he took Mrs. T's hand to go up the steps he reminded me to make a movie of "JP does the slide". And he did it! He was terrified but he did it! It was so bittersweet because when he climbed out of the hay he came over to me and said, "Mommy, will you hold me?". I even have those words captured on the tape. It almost makes me cry every time.

So anyway, back to the power of video. JP has now watched himself do this slide so many times that he just talks about this slide like it is in his backyard. He tells me that he will do it with his hands in the air next time. (One of his peers that I videotaped did it this way.) Thanks to video JP has visualized himself climbing Mt Everest atleast 1000 times and now it isn't so daunting!

Now the other side of watching these videos over and over again is that I get so sick of listening to me talk. Keep in mind that the two stars of the screen are not talkers. T is only learning and JP is not a conversationalist. He is doing awesome and I am thankful for these movies so I can truly see how far he has come but I spend most of the time pulling words from him on these videos. I absolutely hate the sound of my voice. Does everyone else find their own voice annoying? I swear I do not really sound like that!

So here are a couple scripts that JP has stolen from Mommy!

T, that isn't a very good idea.
JP, can you bring your brother to me.
No, T, that is yucky!

Here are a couple of nuggets that appeared the last couple of days. I have watched these videos and I am certain they are not from me. I don't believe that I use these phrases and I never video while I lecture the boys. I am wondering if these are words of wisdom from our new teachers. They aren't bad comments but the sound a little funny coming from our little man.

Here is the scene... the boys are in the backyard finishing up playing in the pool and with the slip and slide. Daddy is telling him that it is time to go in. JP doesn't want to quit.

Daddy, your not listening to me. Casey, you need to listen to me.

(Yeah, it is a little strange having him use our first names. I know this is a normal kid thing to sometimes call their parents by their first name but it is especially weird for us. He isn't doing it to be a brat. He is just dealing with us how he thinks he is supposed to deal with someone who isn't listening to him. Hip Hip Hurray that he gets that Daddy is Casey! The craziest part is that he may or may not tell another adult our names if they were to ask him! )


Here is the scene... Mom declared that we were going out to eat. JP decided that we were not going to Applebee's but rather to Arby's. He hasn't eaten at Arby's in months. I did bring home a sandwich a few weeks ago but it was really a non-event. I wasn't aware that he even realized he was eating roast beef that didn't come from our refrigerator. Dad tells him that Mom decided that we are going to Applebees and that is that. As we pull into the Applebee's parking lot JP says in a voice that keeps getting louder and louder...

What DID I said about Applebees? What did I SAID about Applebees! Daddy, what did I said about APPLEBEES! No Applebees!

2 comments:

GClef1970 said...

OH, I sooooo relate!!
Conor's recent re-enactments are verbal, in nature.
What is that?
I don't know.
Mommy, YOU say it.
I don't know, Conor. What is it?
That's a (insert vehicle).
Oh, okay.
What is that?
You just said it.
Mommy, YOU say it.
It's a (insert vehicle).
What is that?

And that will go on until you finally tell him that you're only going to say it one more time and then not talk about it anymore. Sometimes, it causes a huge ruckus because you won't participate.
Good luck with the scribble re-enactment. Argh.

Anonymous said...

Wow! There is a lot of fantastic stuff going on here!

First of all, the slide video will be a fantastic tool for you to use the next time he needs to climb a "Mt. Everest". You could call it a "farm slide" moment. And since the experience of being scared, then doing it and enjoying it in the end is so firmly etched in his mind from watching the video over and over, he will be more likely to understand what you mean when you tell him "this is a farm slide moment, JP". This could open up huge doors for him learning how to face and overcome his fears.

Yes, the repeating and repetition is so annoying! I remember when TJ was hooked on Charlie Brown videos and we heard the lines over and over, but he then started acting out the scripts with props. This was the precurser to him developing more pretend play skills and imagination.

Oh, and so exciting that he is talking about going down the slide with his hands up next time! It means that he saw another child do this, could put himself in that situation, and visualize himself doing it differently next time. Most people take this ability for granted, but for most kiddos on the spectrum, this is huge!

I know it is annoying, but you are so right that the videos can be such a great tool, and the repetition and repeating serve an important purpose. Awesome job in your attempts to mix it up with the scribble re-enactment!

Sorry, I'm probably going overboard here with the excitement, but as a mom who has been through this stage and can see what is around the corner for JP - oh, yay! I'm so excited for you!