Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Can it really be this easy?

Okay. I know that this is a little yucky but I have to shout to the world...

T made poop in the potty!!!!

This is such a weird feeling. He is 20 months old! I am not sure if this is how potty training is supposed to work. Is it really supposed to be this easy? Can anything be this easy?

JP was nearly 4.5 before he finally went #2 in the toilet. He was 4 before he even peed in the darn thing! Toilet training was a huge fiasco with JP. He refused to do it. He would wait us out. We eventually went so far as to have a battle of the wills and it took 6 hours (with first morning urine) before he couldn't take it any longer!

With JP there was no practice. We had no successes until finally one day he just decided to do it. We've only had a handful of accidents since.

Finally we just decided to push him. When he turned four we told him four year olds don't get to wear diapers. The little twerp decided then and there that he was skipping 4 and started telling people that he was going to be 5. This was so crazy because most of the time he wouldn't even answer people when they asked how old he was. But then all of a sudden he changed his answer from "I'm 3" to "I'm 5". Apparently, in his world, four year olds didn't get to wear diapers but 5 year olds could!

So right after his 4th birthday we took the diapers away and cleaned up mess after mess after mess. It took a full month of messes before he conceded to peeing in the toilet. It took another month for him to decide to poop in the toilet. Finally one day after more than 2 months of cleaning up messes he just decided to do it. And there has been no looking back since.

I share JP's story because that is my experience with toilet training. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that my BABY used the toilet. No fight, no fuss. He thought it was cool. He was excited. He knew he did a big boy thing! He was proud.

Oh, I know this is far from over. But WOW! I am feeling so much lighter right now. Isn't motherhood grand! The things we want to shout out to the world!!!

My brilliant baby used the toilet! Yippee! Apparently this little guy was bestowed on us to show us that life doesn't always have to be a struggle!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! i am floored by that!!! go T!!! yipeee!!!!

mumkeepingsane said...

Yay!

Patrick (and his older NT brother as well) toilet trained quite easily (from the stories I've heard of how difficult it is for autistic children and children in general) and I've always felt lucky that that ONE part of our lives wasn't a huge struggle.

Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! Yes, the little milestones that mean so much. I know the feeling of wanting to shout it to the world.

Yay for T and yay for you!

Niksmom said...

Yay!!! Maybe T's been watching big brother? I've heard from many mothers that the younger ones generally have done certain things sooner b/c they want to be like their big brother/sister.

KC's Blog said...

Way to go T! Woo Hoo!
I am still trying to get K.C. potty trained :( He's 6 and it's been a battle. His brother however was potty trained at 2!

Em said...

it has never happened to me but i have a couple of friends whose under 2s trained very quickly and easily. (s trained easily at 2.5 years, w trained at 4 years .. it was agony, i'm hoping p will be easy!)

redheadmomma said...

Hi MWAM,

thanks for visiting! I caught up a little on your site & will put you in my reader. So glad your youngest made it easy, and CONGRATULATIONS! I can relate to this - to my youngest, Maya, almost 3, she just absorbs things, and when she says or does them, it blows me away. When she was 21 months old, she took off her diaper, threw it at us, and demanded to poop in the potty. Uh, okay! We had nothing to do with this either. I've been unable to get up the effort to completely potty train her, as we always seem to be in the car, running to therapy...but I need to bite the bullet and do this soon. Yes, it is such a blessing, isn't it - that some things can be really effortless. thank goodness for that. Take care!

WarriorMom said...

Wow! (I'm getting caught up on your posts.)