Monday, July 09, 2007

Deja vu

Do you hear that? It is peace and tranquility. We are home. Yes! Home in our own house! We actually slept in our own beds last night!!!! We got home yesterday from a 5 day visit with the extended family. It was a busy time. We had a 4th of July celebration at a lake, a birthday party for a friend's 2 year old twins, and a wedding!

Each event was an experience. I could write for hours analyzing the ups and the downs. But I think I can sum it up with a summary of our day at the lake.

This was a bittersweet experience. I remember 3 years ago attending my uncle's 4th of July bash. This was pre-diagnosis. Three years ago JP FREAKED out at the fireworks. We knew this couldn't be "normal". There was clearly some severe anxiety wrapped up in this little guy. Little JP planted himself inside the house and screamed if anyone opened the door. Three years ago, this was a very hard day for us. This year it was a very hard day again.

Three years ago he shrieked and was inconsolable. This year he initially hung around outside and even showed interest in the lake. Still he was very nervous and cautious. Then the cousins brought out the fireworks. He froze like a deer in the headlights. He watched as they prepared for the first boom. It was as though he knew what they were doing but couldn't believe it. I had tried to prepare him for fireworks. I got down on the patio with him and tried to talk him through that first explosion. We cuddled together as we expectantly waited for the boom.

BOOM!

He shrieked. His hands flew to his ears and insisted that they (the fireworks) go away. "Fireworks are for night time" he said over and over again as he ran inside the house. His hands squeezed over his ears whenever anyone opened the patio doors. And if anyone made the mistake of only closing the screen door (and not the glass door) he quickly ran to to the door to remedy the situation.

Yes, I know we have made progress. Last year he drove around with me in the van and watched the fireworks in the sky. We parked and watched from a distance while we ate popcorn. We have checked out books from the library about fireworks and he can practically tell you how they are made. But these experiences are about the light up the sky glorious fireworks. Not the nuisance boom-boom-bang firecrackers. He absolutely does not get the day time firecrackers. They scare him. He can't identify when the boom is coming. I have to agree with him though--what is the point? Atleast the night time sky fireworks are pretty to look at.

It was a hard day. Once the fireworks started JP was out of sorts. I felt bad because my uncle told the cousins that they couldn't do the fireworks. But that didn't feel right. They were at Grandma and Grandpa's house (my aunt and uncle) for the 4th of July. They should have fireworks. Besides everyone around us was letting off fireworks. It didn't really matter to JP if his cousins joined in. He was a prisoner to the house either way.

Ultimately, we took our boys for a ride in the van around the lake while the cousins did their day time fireworks. We came back for the barbecue. We ate inside. Most of the family took a few minutes here and there to hang out with us inside. But this was a barbecue. This was a barbecue at the lake. This celebration was designed to be outside. We attended the event and they did their best to include us but we really didn't belong there. We left well before dark.

Again, I know that JP has made huge progress. I am thankful that he was now able to explain his feelings. I am just sad that these fears exist. Every other child there was drawn to the booms and bangs. His cousins kept peeking in a back bedroom where Grandpa had the entire bed covered with fireworks. They were eagerly anticipating Grandpa's fireworks display that night. When JP saw the room he freaked out and we had to shut the door in order to calm him down.

On one hand I look at my wonderful boy and I see how far he has come. He is doing amazing. Still it was painful to see that in some ways we are exactly where we were three years ago. As much as I wanted to be there and be part of the family, I couldn't help but feel like an outsider. I couldn't help but feel like we were limiting their celebration. Don't get me wrong. They didn't make me feel like we were not welcome. Quite the opposite. Still I just felt bad curtailing their fun when JP wasn't really enjoying himself either.

So I can't help but dwell on the concept of inclusion. Is inclusion really what it is all about? We were included at this event but no one really got to enjoy themselves. JP was uncomfortable. The rest of the family was restrained. I just couldn't help but think that they would be having more fun if they didn't have to accommodate us. And before you think that I am elbow deep in a pity party I need to say that a huge part of my concern was also that JP would have been much happier having not been put in that situation. He really shouldn't have to be somewhere that he is clearly that uncomfortable. But this was our family and this was a family event. Shouldn't we be there?

So my question is this...where do we draw the line at trying to be included and when do we say no thanks?

8 comments:

Christine said...

Oh, that sounds rough. I've taken the try and see approach to everything and that is working for now. When we are invited we always try. But we are always prepared to leave the minute there is a bit of tension or discomfort. I was very proud of myself recently for leaving a birthday party about 10 minutes after having arrived. If we had stayed one of us (me or Oliver) would have ended up frustrated and upset -- probably both of us. The important thing, I think, is to keep trying and to know ahead of time what our priorities are. It didn't feel great to leave early but it was SO much better than the alternative.

Mom said...

Charlie watched fireworks for the first time this year. Prior to this he would hide in the house with his head buried under pillows. This year he was concerned at points, but he watched.

kristen spina said...

I have to say, I think it is okay to say no thanks. To turn down the invitation, to make what seems to be the easier choice. Not a week goes by that I don't struggle with this issue. Yes, the kids deserve the chance to participate, to try, to be with their family and friends, but when the event leads to stress--for us, for them--I don't think anyone is benefiting. And I think they are at times suffering and that seems so much worse to me than deciding to stay home.

I try to take each situation as it comes. I see my son is coping better, so we try a little bit more, but I'm cautious...oh so very cautious, and I think we're both happier for it.

I'm sorry this was a difficult day for you, but 4th of July celebrations come with a unique set of issues, don't you think? (hugs)

Niksmom said...

Oh my heart just aches for you. We haven't yet faced this specific issue as Nik still goes to sleep very early. But, we definitely face the challenges of being included and FEELING we are a part of things...two very different concetps to me. Sounds like you made the best of the situation for as long as you could before you left. I think it is so important to be willing to take that hard position and do what you know is best for your child. Hugs.

GClef1970 said...

Let me know if you find that fine line and direct me to it, because I'm still looking for it, too.
I have narrowed Conor's aversion to those types of things (fireworks, loud noises) to a lack of control and expectation. Conor will make an unbelievable racket and create unbearable noises, which don't bother him at all. Why? Because he expects the noise when he is in control of making it. I think it is the absolute uncertainty of the fireworks that scare our kids. Where did it come from? Why did it happen? When is it going to happen again? That is probably why the firecrackers bothered him so much; at least with the nighttime displays, you can anticipate that the boom will occur after the lights (like thunder).
Hang in there. Somehow, we all have to find our own groove... and that doesn't necessarily have to jive with the rest of the world's idea of how to celebrate a day.
:-/

KAL said...

That's a fine line to figure out, I agree. I'm sorry it was rough for you, I've been in that family situation/celebration where you want so much for them to not only be included but to enjoy it too. Our 4th was much the same ... I also try to accept all invites and go - hopeful that they'll have a good time, but prepared to leave at a moment's notice.

WarriorMom said...

Good question.

Mom to Mr. Handsome said...

Could you attend the get together before the daytime fireworks happen? Maybe agree that your family will come for "x" amount of time and it would be agreed that no fireworks will be done during that time? I think when you look at the big picture, it really is a day about family, not fireworks. I bet a good compromise would work and everyone could attend. I'm sure your family would miss you more than having fireworks all day long.


Kristin