Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Kindergarten...a preview

Today was our first day of official preparation for Kindergarten. Our school is having a"boot camp" of sorts where the children get to come in for a trial run before the school becomes overrun with 300+ kids with all the grades. They arranged for half of the kids to come on Tuesday and the other half on Wednesday. Then all of the Kindergarteners will come on Thursday for a half day. The parents join them at the end of the half day for a picnic.

I requested that JP attend all 3 days for extra practice with the routines as well as a chance to meet his peers in a smaller grouping. The staff quickly agreed and treated my request as a non-issue. Have I mentioned that I really like our school?

This was also going to be a wonderful opportunity for JP and Mrs. A to get to know each other better. Unfortunately, Mrs. A had a death in her family and had to travel out of state. So we lost this opportunity to get a jump start on that relationship but it is still going to be a very helpful situation.

So today was Day 1. I have primed JP for this event. We have talked about their schedule and that it will be with different teachers and different children. I explained that it was at the same school but a different room. I tried to explain that the kids would be the kids that he goes to Kindergarten with in August. The school is calling it Jump Start to Kindergarten. Unfortunately, he is confusing it with his Jump Start Computer Game. He likes the game but it has created confusion. This was evident this morning when I told him were were going to "Jump Start" for a practice session at Kindergarten. He was cool until we pulled into the parking lot. He yelled, "Not Brymentary school! Jump Start!".

Fortunately, he kept it together. He was not very social to his teacher when we walked up but he went with her willingly. Fortunately, Mrs. G, who was with him during summer school was there to be his aide. He and she seem to do really well together.

So I sent him off with Mrs. G and joined the rest of the parents for a tour and talk with the principal. Have I mentioned that I really like the principal, Dr. R? She rose through the special ed ranks so she is very friendly to our plight. It was weird to be in the midst of the other parents who for the most part are only beginning to realize that they are sending their children off to school. They asked questions that we have asked and answered (or attempted to answer) months ago. She even gave me a couple knowing looks as she gave the parents their answers.

After the parents cleared out, she asked me if we had a meeting set up yet? I wasn't sure how to answer. Since I haven't heard from the Special Ed Coordinator yet I can only assume that this is the route we will be going. We casually spoke about my frustration that it has taken this long and Dr. R politely agreed that it is not right to have this drag out like this. She did assure me that JP will not start school without an extra aide in there even if the school has to arrange those supports in house. She alluded that they have hired a couple of paras for other areas of the school who have some autism experience. So essentially, the school is covering their basis. Again, did I mention how much I like her?

So T and I left the school and enjoyed our first of many days to come without our big brother. It was strange. It will take some getting used to. However, I do think it will be good for all of us!

When we returned this afternoon, JP came running to me. He doesn't usually show such excitement to see me! He was wearing a crown with his name on it. He was smiling. Mrs. G followed him up and said that he had a great day. She shared that when the PE teacher had them lined up and told them what they were going to do, JP yelled, "Oh cool!". She commented that JP is such a cutie and that it is hard not to fall in love. I am so relieved that these critical adults in his life ARE falling in love. I am so glad that they are seeing the beautiful spirit inside and not just the quirky autistic traits that often cover the surface.

(JP and I had a conversation today document his memory and his ability to share the events of his day. You can follow along on today's conversations blog.)

3 comments:

Niksmom said...

Wow. Wow. Wow. Where is this school and how can I get Nik there?! Sounds like JP had an awesome day (LOVED the conversation you guys had!). I can't wait to hear about the next two days! I'm grinning for you guys. See...8D

kristen spina said...

What an uplifting post. I'm so glad that you are going into kindergarten feeling hopeful and encouraged by the staff and the school environment. My son had a really good kindergarten year and I believe it had less to do with all his "support" and more to do with the fact that his teacher was solid gold.

Here's to August and JP and a year of wonderful growth!

redheadmomma said...

I am SO happy for you that he's going into a good situation! There's nothing better than a principal who has spec.ed experience - AWESOME! I'm sure they'll just fall more in love with JP as the time flies by...

R