Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Snippets of conversation from April

Various snippets from the past month.

----------------------------

JP just returned from preschool. He is eating lunch. JP knows that Dad is working from home today and expected Daddy to be here when he got back from school.

JP: "Mommy, where is daddy?"

Mom: "He is out for a little while. He'll be back soon."

JP: "How did you let this happen!" (This is said in his Christopher Robin voice. In one of the videos, the gang loses the neighbor's dog. Christopher Robin pitifully cries, "How did you let this happen" upon his discovery that the dog is missing.

----------------------------

The boys almost always have a toy with them in the van. I guess you would call it a fidget. Sometimes it is a book. Sometimes it is a car. Yesterday JP decided to have the sewing tape measure. ???? This was when the boys went over to a friend's house to pick up a trampoline that we are going to set up in our back yard. T and JP were hanging out in the van while Dad loaded the contraption.

Here is what Dad saw...
JP was flinging the flimsy tape measure around like a lasso and throwing at at T while yelling out "I capture in the name of the hundred acre wood". It looks like poor T has become a heffalump.

----------------------------

JP is eating breakfast playing with his superman action figure. He is reciting scripts. Mom walks into the kitchen with his backpack to tell him to hurry up so we can get ready for the van.

Mom: Hurry up bud, we gotta get ready for the van.

JP: Tomorrow, when I wake up there will be a Superman CD and storybook.

Mom: Uh, I don't think there is a Superman CD book. I've never seen one.

JP: We can get one. (spoken matter of factly)


(By the way, Sunday was the start of soccer. We were heavily into Superman during the fall soccer season. In fact, we became Superman and flew from goal to goal during most of the games. Apparently, his mind has blended soccer and Superman because he has been talking about Superman ever since!)

----------------------------

JP: Wait, I got an idea. Let’s watch a movie.

Mom: Well, what movie do you want to watch?

JP: I like to watch “Fun with Manners”

Mom: Oh is that Wiggles movie?

JP: That’s the Pooh movie, silly!

Mom: Oh the Pooh movie we got at Walmart.

JP: Oh, I think we get that at the library.

Mom: Are you sure?

JP: Yes, I think so. Maybe we could watch it.

Mom: Hmm. Where should we watch it? In the bathroom?

JP: Or, not in the bathroom! We can watch it in the toy room. Maybe I’ll go get it. I’ll be right back.....Mommy! We found the movie! We found the movie! I found that movie! Mommy see! I know! Let’s watch it!

Mom: Okay should we watch it on the computer?

JP: Hmm. That would be silly.

Mom: You are right that would be.

JP: Maybe, the tv.

Mom: Hmmm. We could do that.

JP: Let’s watch it together.

Mom: You want to watch it with me?

JP: Oh yes!

Mom: Really? Why would you want to watch it with Mommy?

JP: Yes, because the words will spell…now on video cassette and now our feature program.

Mom: Oh is that is what is on the video?

JP: Oh yes…maybe I’ll go put it in and push play. Or I’ll put it in and you’ll push play. That is the idea, right?

Mom: Okay, let’s go!


----------------------------


JP:"Let's make words on the computer!"


Mom: Shall we talk about what all you have done today?


(preschool, lunch at McDonald's, OT2)

JP: Oh, but I'll say another one. How about we talk about Johnny and the Sprites.

Mom: Hmm. Do you like Johnny and the Sprites?


JP: Hmm. But I like Pooh bear.


Mom: Yeah, but Mommy doesn't really want to talk about Pooh bear right now. Do you like Johnny and the Sprites?


JP: Hmm. But I ...How about I talk about some stories.


Mom: What stories?


JP: The story about Pooh.


Mom: But you see that is about Pooh bear again and I don't want to talk about Pooh bear.


JP: But I got an idea.


Mom: What's that?


JP: To talk about some activities.


Mom: What activities?


JP: Some marble activities.


Mom: Some marble activities?


JP: Oh yeah.


Mom: What do you mean?


JP: I mean a BIG marble. After that we'll have to get a magic one. But Greg does some magic.


Mom: Greg Wiggle?


JP: Oh, yeah. He's on the Wiggles.


Mom: Do you like the Wiggles.


JP: Oh yes!


Mom: Who is your favorite Wiggle?


JP: My favorite Wiggle is. Greg is my guy. But Pooh is my guy.


Mom: What color is Greg?


JP: He has a yellow shirt.


Mom: Oh, is he the one that sings.


JP: Oh, yes. That's right!


Mom: What is that song about..is it the big blue car?


JP: Hmm. That's not a song about a big blue car. That is a song about music.


Mom: So do they drive a big blue car?


JP: Oh, all the Wiggles drive in the big red car. Greg and Anthony and Jeff and Murry drive in the car.


Mom: Do you remember who Mommy's favorite Wiggle is?


JP: Your Wiggle is Anthony.


Mom: No, I think my favorite is Murray.


JP: Oh, Murray? Whose Murray?


Mom: He's the red Wiggle.


JP: He is?!


Mom: And I think he likes to play the guitar.


JP: How about we talk about animals.


Mom: Okay, which animals do you want to talk about.


JP: A yellow bear with a shirt on it and Pooh for his name. But Christopher Robin's very best friend was Winnie the Pooh or Pooh for short.


Mom: Okay...Mommy wants to talk about what you have done today.


(preschool, lunch at McDonald's, OT2)

JP: Oh, okay.


Mom: What have you done today?


JP: I have done...trying to get in the ball pit. But Mrs. Chris pulled him out. Kristine pulled me out.


(Chris is OT, Kristine is college student that works for us with our home program. Kristine was not at OT2)


Mom: What did she want you to do?


JP: She wants me to put on my shoes.


Mom: Did she have you swing today?


JP: Yes. I do it at OT2.


Mom: Did you play with another little boy?


(The ball pit at OT2 had a big Chuck E Cheese bouncy ball in it. Sunday we went to Chuck E Cheese for JB's birthday party. JB is a fellow spectrum child. JP is mixing up events from Sunday with events from today's OT2 session. Today at OT2 JP worked on activities such as swinging with a peer, James. He and James had never met before. It went well. Sorry but even I get confused during this conversation.)

JP: His boy is James. We came to Chuck E Cheese. JB was there. Did we get inside because Chuck E was there. He was making a Chuck E show.

Mom: Oh, was he playing instruments? Did you like his music?


JP: He has his string. And then Chuck E saw real Chuck near by.


Mom: Was real Chuck E standing with the kids?


JP: Yes. Real Chuck E has his mouth open. And he has a hat with a C on it. We give the present to JB but he throwed the candy.


(JB was very anxious about the "party". He didn't want gifts because he doesn't deal with the expectation well. His mom warned us that he wouldn't appreciate gifts. He would freak out even if it was a gift he wanted. Mom suggested we give him a package of Airheads candy because he loves them. We didn't wrap it so that he would know right away that it was something he would like. This was the first JP mentioned the events. At the time I didn't think about talking to JP about JB's "unexpected" behavior. I guess I didn't even think that JP would be confused. Duh! Strike one for Mommy! )

Mom: Why do you think he did that?


JP: Because the candy might need to hang.
(huh? I'm not sure what that meant!)

Mom: Well, I think JB threw the candy because he was scared. He knew he was supposed to say something to you. Something like "thank you". But he couldn't think up the words and he looked around and all the adults were looking at him. He got really nervous. So he grabbed the candy and threw it.


JP: That wasn't very nice.


Mom: Nope that wasn't very nice. But JB was scared. He was afraid to have his birthday because he thought people were going to give him toys that he wouldn't know how to play with and they would expect him to say words when he didn't know what to say. He was really nervous. But we were there to help him celebrate and learn how a birthday party works. You did a really good job helping JB celebrate his birthday!


JP: Chuck E said where a kid can be a kid! Does Chuck E have an idea?


Mom: What is his idea?


JP: His idea was to find his real friend. They were friend Chuck E's. But I had an idea for Chuck E. The idea is for Chuck E to sing but if he doesn't sing he turns back into a Chuck E Cheese and I belong to Chuck E Cheese. Chuck E might play with me. If he does? He won't sing anymore. But if he don't he turns back into a mouse and I belong to me and Chuck E belongs to me. Where's Chuck E?

( I am thoroughly confused!!!!)

Mom: Hey! I have a question for you. Do you remember who mommy's favorite Wiggle is?


JP: Your favorite wiggles is? Greg?


Mom: Nope, I don't think so.


JP: You don't think so?


Mom: Nope, do you remember who I told you?


JP: You told me Murray.


Mom: That's right! So who is Mommy's favorite wiggle?


JP: Murray.


Mom: You know that because Mommy told you. You did a good job listening to Mommy, didn't you!


(I am stopping the dictation now because that conversation thoroughly exhausted me!)

6 comments:

Maddy said...

I know that feeling all too well.
Best wishes

Club 166 said...

How do you get all this down?

I've been thinking of getting a tape recorder to carry around just to capture stuff like this.

It's priceless.

KAL said...

This was incredible to read! I can relate to the Pooh obsession, but in our house, with S. right now, it's the Teletubbies. I love your back and forth and think you did really great redirecting him. I'm taking notes... :)

mumkeepingsane said...

Hey, I'm taking notes too. That's some great conversation!

DES said...

I sat here laughing because although our topics are different the 'flow' of the conversations are eerily similar! I love these talks!

Great blog! *i'm a newby to blogger*

~DES~

Em said...

He is incredibly verbal!