Monday, April 30, 2007

April Time Capsule

A Moment in Time...

JP

What is your favorite...

COLOR:
My favorite color is brown. Like Simba or...orange like Simba. That is pretty cool! Did you watch the Simba movie? Yes. That was from the Lion King. Have you watched the Lion King movie? Yeah, I haven't.

BOOK :
My favorite book is Winnie the Pooh. Which Winnie the pooh book? Fun with Manners book with Pooh. But I think "Fun with Manners" is a movie. Do you have a book you like? My favorite book is the Lion King. Well again, that is a movie. Do you have a favorite book? My favorite book is...my favorite book is..."My friends Tigger and Winnie the Pooh. Well, I think that is the new show starting on Playhouse Disney next month. Oh! Next month! Can you think of a book with pages and words that you like? My favorite book is about my Wiggly Wiggly World. Try again...that is a movie! My favorite book is ... If you don't have a favorite one you can say, "I don't have one." Oh, I know. My favorite book is about JP playing soccer. Where is that book? Maybe that is the movie. Yep, that is a movie that Mommy made. Maybe we can watch it? Seriously sweetie. If we were to sit down and read a book right now. What would you want to read? I want to read the book of Pooh. Okay. (I give up)

MOVIE:
Mrs. Ariel said the Book of Tigger. What is your favorite movie right now? My favorite movie is the Book of Tigger. But we don't have this movie. Maybe there was one at the library. Oh, you mean the Tigger Movie book that we checked out from the library? Maybe we can take that movie home and watch it? In the Book of Tigger, Pooh might pop out of it! Huh? We'll just have to see!

FOOD:
Well, my favorite food is wiggleberries. Wiggleberry salad, wiggleberry soup, wiggleberry juice, wiggleberry cake. Who eats wiggleberries? I eat wiggleberries. Mommy, do you like wiggleberries. I've never eaten a wiggleberry. Maybe I'll give you one and you'll take a bite. Sure that sounds good. Where do we get one? We get one at the...maybe there is some at the north pole. Huh, so I guess we'll have to ask Santa for some? Oh...good idea! We'll say "Happy Windsday Santa!" (Windsday is what Pooh thinks Wednesday means)

DRINK:
My favorite drink is strawberry salad, strawberry soup.... Those are something to eat. What do you want to drink? My favorite juice is... is... is... is... is... is... is fruit punch. Cool, I like fruit punch too.

TOY:
My favorite toy is Winnie the Pooh or my favorite toy is the Big Red Car. Yeah, but I am not sure you play with them much. Maybe there is one at OT2. Huh, I think you are right. Maybe I can get it out of the box and take it home and play with it. Can I do that? I think we have to play with it at OT2. But what is your favorite toy at home. My favorite toy is a soccer ball. Cool! And do you like your new trampoline? Yes! With a net on it! That is so cool, isn't it! That means I can jump jump jump!

LETTER:
My favorite letter is...z! Really! What starts with the letter z? Zzzz like sleep! Can you think of any others? My favorite letter is A. The "A" starts with monster? Monster starts with A? The monsters were really scary! And scary? Oh, the monsters were scary. What did the monsters make the letter A say! AAAAAA! The monsters will come and make me kind of crazy! The monsters were driving me crazy!

NUMBER:
My favorite number is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. All of them! Yes! How old are you JP? I'm 5.

SONG:
My favorite song is..."I just can't wait to be king". Oh cool. I love it! That is what Simba sings in "Sing Along Songs Lion King Circle of Life"! Do you like that video! Oh yes! Do you remember what Mommy's favorite song was? What is your favorite song, Mommy? Yummy yummy yummy there are bugs in my tummy. Oh I love that! It goes like this...(and he proceeds to sing the entire song)

I found a copy on youtube... I love this song!

My additions:

JP's meltdowns seem to have been better this month. His interests are transitioning from Pooh Bear to Superman. We checked out a movie from the library with Disney sing along songs so we have gained an appreciation for the Lion King. He loves the sing along video but I haven't been able to get him to sit through the Lion King movie. Cars has pretty much disappeared.

I find it interesting that JP seems to have lumped Superman and soccer. Superman was big last fall during our TopSoccer season and when we went to put our jersey on this season he demanded his Superman T-shirt go under it. It is as though Superman never faded! So we are dealing with a lot of flying from couch to chair, flowing capes and Clark Kent clothing on the floor. In fact, he has demanded to wear his Superman T-shirt 4 days in a row. I am able to make him wear other clothes outside the house as long as I agree to let him put his T-shirt on when we get back home. It is pretty cute how he puts on his white button down dress shirt over the Superman T-shirt and introduces himself to you (over and over again) as Clark Kent. He then proceeds to ask if you want to see his supersuit.

JP has really done well with all the school assessments and all of our other services this month. (Gymnastics is good yet bad as I mentioned on a previous post) OT has been great, speech has been good. He has even been interacting more with the other children at his YMCA class. He and T are getting more interactive and are proving to be very good for each other. It really is sweet how they both seem to look out for each other!


Biggest stims - A lot of Pooh Bear and Superman scripting. Some Charlie and Lola scripts from his visits to the PlayhouseDisney website. Oh, and nose picking!!! Ick! I think it is allergy related but it has turned into just a nervous habit! Instead of chewing his fingernails he is now constantly jamming a finger up his nose!

Not such nice phrases thanks to our Manners with Pooh video...

Mommy can you be quiet. (whenever Mom asks JP to do something he doesn't want to do)

You are driving me crazy. (usually scripted and used during a period of excitement--not anger)

A screeching yell (monster related to the Pooh video as well)

***This is so unfair. We get new videos from the library to mix it up and get out from under the same old scripts. And what do we get....more scripts!***


Bed time books:



Baby T

FOOD: doughnuts, fruit snacks, cheese, applesauce, yogurt, chicken fingers, ramen noodles, green beans, oranges, macaroni and cheese, Hamburger Helper Cheesy Beef Taco, pickles, popcorn, potato chips, summer sausage, crackers,

DRINK: THE BOTTLE IS GONE! But so is milk. He refuses to drink milk from a sippy cup. I've increased his dairy from other sources and keep presenting a sippy with milk. (Duh, I just thought about trying to get him to drink milk from a cup with a straw. I'll give that a try today!)
Essentially he will drink anything in a sippy cup and anything with a straw! However, if there is a straw present he will not drink from the sippy cup anymore.

MOVIES: #1 Wiggles, #2 Baby Einstein.

TOYS:
Climbing on anything and everything: chairs, tables, couches.
Grabbing at anything I can reach: curtain pullies, light switches, door handles.
Shape sorter
Paper and any sort of writing utensil
JP's Leap Pad - use it to scribble the pen
Sandbox in the backyard
Loves the slide and baseball and tee in the backyard.
Loves to drop the basketball through the hoop.
Anything in the bathtub!

Life still revolves around the big people world. T tends to want everything that he can't have and definitely wants whatever big brother has! He is amazingly fast and can scale a chair on to the table in mere nanoseconds. He loves to grab bowls or water glasses that find themselves too close to the edge of the counter.

BOOKS:
T is not really a book lover. I need to carve out more time for us to read one on one.

WORDS/ACTIONS:
(against my better judgement I will include these...I'll try not to over analyze)

Daddy, BaBa (bottle), ball, I did it!, Bye Bye(with a finger wiggle), baby, straw, bath, puppy/dog, all done, Mama, head, backpack, car, duck, cup, more, peek a boo, noisy/sloppy kisses, blows noisy kisses, touches head during "monkey jumping on the bed", wags finger no during the "no jumping on the bed" part.

Will grabs your nose, eyes, mouth, ears if you name the items.
Will pounce on JP if we say "Dog Pile".
Will head to the stairs if you say it is time for a bath.
Will head to the refrigerator if you ask if he wants juice.
Will wave bye bye if you start to get out the coats.
Will give you his feet if you have his socks and shoes to put on. (unless he is in the mood to run away)
Will bring food from the pantry to Mom. Usually goldfish or fruit snacks.
Will run from you (with the naughty item) when you tell him no.

Heard but not repeated... he labeled a picture of JP and himself by saying both of their names clear as day!

Shamefully I will include these...I hope they are nothing but collective moments of paranoia but I need to document them for reference.
Fear of the parachute at YMCA class
Fear of the tunnels and forts at the YMCA class. I put him inside them and he just stood there screaming.
Fear of the plastic bubble wrap all the other kids were jumping on at the YMCA class
Huge tears during JP's OT when he tried the "flying aparatus". It is very noisy.
Fear of the trampoline in our backyard.
Won't look in the sky when I point at an airplane. They are very noisy yet he is oblivious.
Seems really bashful around other people.

1 comment:

Club 166 said...

I love the way I can almost hear the kids when you write this stuff.

In terms of scripting, we have found, now that Buddy Boy is 7, that he has incorporated so many scripts (and modified many of them), that you begin to not notice it as much.

Nowadays it seems an unmodified script is the exception, rather than the rule. So I think we can both look forward to (mostly) losing the scripts some day.