Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Answers

Well, yesterday was a day spent seeking answers.

Baby T had a round of tests all to try to figure out what happened when he lost consciousness on us a few weeks ago. He was amazingly cooperative through a Chest Xray, EEG, EKG, and Echo. All in all it took us nearly 4 hours to get through it and he did it all with a 10 minute nap (on cue) during the EEG! How he managed to fall asleep with dozens of wires taped to his head I do not know but kudos to him!

During the whole affair I kept asking myself is it worth it to subject him to all these tests? Will they even tell us anything? It doesn't feel right to be putting my faith in them to tell me if he is medically okay or not. After all, this is the same establishment that sent us home from the ER having done no tests. They just assured me that healthy babies lose consciousness all the time. Apparently it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with them. Oh, yeah, and my favorite. "Even if had been a seizure, what does him having a seizure have anything to do with his older brother's autism?" In fact, our tests were at the same hospital. These are the same people that I am now looking to to give me the "all clear". An all clear to what? Autism? They don't even seem to know about Autism so how can they assure me that we aren't going there? Ugh! Make these thoughts leave my head!!!

However last night while reflecting on the day I realized that T was giving us his own answers to our questions.

1. While cruising around the waiting room for the Chest Xray his attention was drawn to an older gentleman sitting nearby. T went to the chair next to him and tried to climb up. He looked at me and pointed to the man's head and said "hat". That was the first time he has said hat. And he referenced me while saying it!

2. While grabbing a bite to eat between tests, T was peeking at a gentleman at the next table. The man was encouraging the game of peekaboo. So I told T that he should say "hi". AND HE DID! He even waved his little hand! That was the first time for the word and the gesture! I haven't even thought to teach him it! He picked it up on his own!!!!

3. We were getting dressed after an exam. I was trying to stay upbeat for the little guy because he still had a long way to go so I said, "Good job Little Man! Give me five!" and put my hand up. I did it without really thinking. (We've been doing this a lot with JP but haven't thought to teach T yet) Of course I figured I would be the one seeking out his hand and giving the five. Nope! He reached right out and slapped my hand and shrieked at the same time. I'm not sure what he said but he continues to do it on cue! Believe me, we practice about every 5 minutes!

They may have performed some expensive tests to verify if his neurons are firing correctly. But I think I like the results we got during the tests.

Of course, I eagerly await theirs as well.

1 comment:

Mom without a manual said...

Good news--all test fell within normal range. Whatever that means...

Bad news - no explanation for the scariest event of our lives.