Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Mom without a manual goes online

Can I really think of anything interesting to say? Who knows. Perhaps this will serve as my much needed personal therapy!

The husband and I keep saying that I need to find an outlet aside from Autism and therapy for our son. Does this count? Probably not, but I feel better already!

My son, JP, is almost 5 years old! That is so hard to believe! He was diagnosed with Autism just before he turned 3. When the pediatrician said the word, "Autism", I was shocked. I knew absolutely nothing about Autism but it didn't sound good. We went to the pediatrician because of sensory and social issues that weren't making sense but I never would have thought autism. I didn't expect to be told, "There is virtually nothing you can do. He can learn and function in life but expect him to live at home with you." Such optimism! Thank God, I quit listening after he said the word autism.

So I hurried home to my best friend, the Internet. Yep, Autism. I see it clearly now. I had never seen or met an autistic individual before. I had no basis for comparison. Perhaps I was living in my fairy tale world but I didn't know about an epidemic of Autism cases. I didn't know that the rates were increasing at such an alarming rate. I didn't know to be on the lookout for this dreadful predator!

Now, it seems to be everywhere. Of course, now I have a reason to notice...

Of course, I need to be fair and also mention my beautiful youngest, T. He just turned 10 months old and he is doing awesome. Now, every mom is quick to brag that their child is walking or talking. I'm not bragging, I'm just breathing a sigh of relief. Keep your fingers crossed with me, folks. His older brother met all of his milestones as well ...until the day we realized he was autistic. I try to not obsess over T's development but it is hard not to watch and take notes. He is having to travel Autismville along with his family while helping his older brother. I just really REALLy don't want him to have his own citizenship papers!

1 comment:

jim said...

Are you just now returning to learning?Have you been away from school for awhile? This article will help you no matter your questions. You will be able to reach your dreams. Continue reading to learn much more. You are deserving of it.
questschool1 |

r2automation |

schoolnark |

seattletravelmom |

sibelleeducation |